Help please

Hi folks, I bought an Ingersoll navigator rechargeable watch recently that is in beautiful cosmetic condition and seems virtually unworn, it is very well made and is a heavy watch. When charged it keeps perfect time for five or six days, then starts losing three or four minutes a day and gradually loses more time the longer it's left uncharged. Normally I have no interest in watches with batteries but for some reason I like this watch and want it working properly. I think it maybe that the battery has deteriated over time and doesn't take a full charge ( I have left it on charge 24hrs) anyway I wish to replace the rechargeable battery but can't find it anywhere... If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. I have included a picture of the watch and the battery, battery number Sony us1620n. Many thanks.

IMG_20180520_101859.jpg

1526809379554-2081527918.jpg

You'll notice on the battery lots of writing to avoid confusions. So the numbers 1620 is a size 16 mm in diameter 2.0 mm thick for lithium battery this is very common. But notice the additional writing on the battery in an attempt to get you to put the right one in. The word rechargeable and lithium-ion. Mixing primary batteries with rechargeable batteries isn't really the best thing to do.

• Like 1

Hi Chopin, I think those are the correct size, not sure if rechargeable? I am thinking of putting the battery you showed me into the Ingersoll and just changing it every couple of years, both are 3v so should be ok until I can find rechargeable ones. 

We don't have a technical data sheet for the Sony battery but on the back we do see it's a Rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The LIR1620 Is also a lithium ion rechargeable battery with a data sheet mentioned above found at the link below. Non-rechargeable lithium batteries are magnesium dioxide-based. So both are lithium batteries different battery chemistry means different voltages and different characteristics. Non-rechargeable batteries typically do not like to go into the circuits were there being charged bad things usually happen.

https://www.powerstream.com/p/Lir1620.pdf

• Like 2

Thank you Dadistic. Hi John, I have no intention of putting a non rechargeable battery in the watch and then attempting to charge it. I meant if I am unable to find the rechargeable battery I will simply use the right size and voltage single use battery and change it as needed. I think that should be ok? 

The rechargeable battery is not original to the watch. It has been fitted by someone that didn't had anything better at hand. It may also be of the wrong size, one would need to look at the mov.t to confirm. Rechargeable batteries are only used in Seiko Kinetic, or solar watches

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jdm said:

The rechargeable battery is not original to the watch. It has been fitted by someone that didn't had anything better at hand. It may also be of the wrong size, one would need to look at the mov.t to confirm. Rechargeable batteries are only used in Seiko Kinetic, or solar watches

Not correct.

The Ingersoll Navigator rechargeable watch that the OP describes is just that.... rechargeable. It comes with a plastic stand which has a coil embedded in it and plugs into a power supply, recharging the watch by electromagnetic induction.

I couldn't say whether or not the battery that the OP has is original to the watch, but the watch most certainly does need a rechargeable battery.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jdm said:

'weird and ineffective designs' chapter.

:D  There is a never ending list of suitable candidates for that category. It's part of what keeps it fun!!

• Like 1

Hi again,  yes it does have a charger so must have a rechargeable battery. The battery is the correct size as you have to insert the battery into a clip first and then push the clip over three anchor points. You cannot fit the wrong size battery. Strangely enough now I have given the watch the full charge it is keeping perfect time! Seems when you start to charge it three orange lights come on, after eighteen plus hours the three orange lights start to flash, signalling fully charged. Thanks Marc and JDM.

I am looking for the exact same battery.  I have a MTM Special Operations Watch, "Black Hawk" purchased approximately 10 years ago.  The battery stopped taking the charge.  MTM wanted $75 to change the battery. After I got the cover off and found that type of battery, I have spent half a day looking for the US1620N battery.  It is not for sale anywhere.   So, would there be any harm in replacing the US1620N with LIR1620?  

1 hour ago, accinsp said:

So, would there be any harm in replacing the US1620N with LIR1620?

We really need the Sony tech sheet but the battery chemistries the same it stands to reason it's probably the same for functionality. Probably the reason the Sony battery isn't available it's an OEM part I probably only sell to manufacturers of watches.

• Like 1

This is the nearest that I can find here;

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/43654294618/#

TB2KkOMbFXXXXa2XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!764575326.jpg

型号 US1620
标准电压 3V
标准容量 17mAh
使用温度 -20℃~+60
直径 16mm
高/厚 2.0mm
产地 日本
保质期

10年以上

TB2cV5RbFXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!764575326.jpg

This is for a motherboard battery complete with solder tags and wired plug but the battery is the same.

The spec sheet for the LIR1620 mentioned above is here;

Lir1620.pdf

As far as I can see the voltage is different (3.0v against 3.7v) and the capacity is different (17mAh against 10mAh). The physical dimensions are the same.

• Like 1

t

34 minutes ago, Marc said:

This is the nearest that I can find here;

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/43654294618/#

TB2KkOMbFXXXXa2XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!764575326.jpg

型号 US1620
标准电压 3V
标准容量 17mAh
使用温度 -20℃~+60
直径 16mm
高/厚 2.0mm
产地 日本
保质期

10年以上

TB2cV5RbFXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!764575326.jpg

This is for a motherboard battery complete with solder tags and wired plug but the battery is the same.

The spec sheet for the LIR1620 mentioned above is here;

Lir1620.pdf

As far as I can see the voltage is different (3.0v against 3.7v) and the capacity is different (17mAh against 10mAh). The physical dimensions are the same.

Thank You,  I am going to try the LIR1620. Looks like the battery wont last as long.  I know from experience it used to last 60 days without recharging.  Right now it doesn't last 2 days. So if it will last a couple of weeks between charges I can live with it. 

I have ordered a 1620 single use 3v battery. Should last a couple of years and I will replace the battery as needed. I doubt it will do the watch any harm.. same size, same voltage, if there is a problem I am sure someone will flag it up. Accinsp, I wouldn't attempt to charge a non rechargeable battery, a single use 1620-3v should last ages. I don't know exactly how long the single use battery with last but if a decent brand I would expect a couple of years. Somebody will answer this question I am sure. 

• 3 weeks later...