BHI 2018 Examinations

Was anyone else up at Upton Hall this week for their exams?

I sat the D4 Quartz Servicing exam and also the D1 Watch And Clock Theory exam. 

I couldn’t get the case suitably waterprooofed for the quartz exam which I blame on the shoddy case/pendant tube and new crown provided. Otherwise, I got the current consumption right down and the movement built nicely.

I ran out of time during the theory exam. And that was me going at full speed, obviously. I think I spent too much time drawing keyless works, just because I am so familiar with them. 

Roddy

• Like 1

Congratulations on your achievement.

I’m not a great believer of these types of exams. From previous posts, I have made about exams.  Having to draw a keyless work, what is the point? Repairing a few that, will be stamped into your brain that will give you enough experience to be able to take apart and repair.  I might be bias as I learned by hands on gaining experience from my master teaching me and watching him. Nothing like getting your hands dirty. The same goes for books reading how to take a watch or clock apart wont go into what could go wrong.   

• Like 1

Good effort to the pair of you,  im afraid the cost of joining the bhi the distance learning course and cost of exams and feed back have stopped me from proceeding onto becoming qualified, also I wouldn't be giving up my ful, time job as watch repair just wouldn't bring in the money for paying those bills.

13 hours ago, oli said:

Hi Roddy, I was there (Olivier), it was nice meeting you, I did not realise you were on the forum!

Hi Olivier! I was going to email you about the mechanical watch exams. Hope they went well. 

@oldhippy, regarding the exam format, I used to agree with what you are saying, ie. all you need is to learn on the job, and if you can “do it” then that proves that you know it. 

However, I’ve changed my mind after completing the BHI courses. The theory exam uses various methods to prove that you understand from first principles how everything works. It’s the only simple means that they have of determining that you really understand an aspect in depth. So for example, they ask you to explain via diagrams and text how the drive is delivered from the crown to the winding pinion. Some people will make the mistake of thinking that the stem directly drives the winding pinion for example. All of the theory behind metallurgy I’ve learned  through the course syllabus, and it’s just not something that I’ve learned through experience. I notice that many people on this forum know little about the subject - eg. the correct carbon content and temper for a wristwatch screw.

A few of us “watchies” struggled more with the clock theory questions. And we realised that it would have been much easier if we’d spent more time physically working on them. So that in itself proves that working on the job helps to aid your understanding of theory. Or alternatively, your understanding of theory proves that you’ve worked on the job.....

I think one of the best things about the BHI is that they set a benchmark for the standard of work which watchmakers provide. I’m not saying that anyone who posts here is a “bodger”, but we’ve all opened up enough watches which have been mucked about with by other watchmakers. The practical exams let you prove that you can work to a certain standard, and the theory exams reinforce that by showing that you understand how it works underneath.

For me at least, I know that my watchmaking (and clockmaking) skills have improved massively since studying the Theory and Practical courses, and I suppose that’s the main thing that matters for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everybody.

I was at the D1 theory exam this year (2018)

I have this morning found out my result which was a fail (42%) and to say I am devastated is an understatement. I wish the exam wasn't biased towards clocks but that's life I guess.

Roddy I believe you're the chap who was stood in the common room before the Theory exam as you were telling the guys about your experience with the case/pendant? A pilot was talking to you if I'm not mistaken.

I'd be interested to know your theory result as you said you didn't finish. I finished with literally 2 minutes to spare and that was going flat out! Too many drawings, narratives and calculations for the time allocated I believe. Surely this year the pass rate would be lower than average?

Kyle

• Like 1

I feel your pain, although I have been taking night classes for 2 1/2 years on watch and clock repair I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pass any of the BHI exams, but one day would love to  do the BHI course, I hope you manage to pass it next time you sit it.

Any chance you could give just a brief overview of what was in the test?

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 2:54 PM, KyleP88 said:

Roddy I believe you're the chap who was stood in the common room before the Theory exam as you were telling the guys about your experience with the case/pendant? A pilot was talking to you if I'm not mistaken.

I'd be interested to know your theory result as you said you didn't finish. I finished with literally 2 minutes to spare and that was going flat out! Too many drawings, narratives and calculations for the time allocated I believe. Surely this year the pass rate would be lower than average?

Hi Kyle,

That was indeed me. I had a quartz watch to service with a really ropey pendant tube which was off-centre and wasn't waterproof when fitted with the crummy spare crowns which they provided!

I thought I would have failed the D1 Theory, but somehow managed to get seventy-something percent. Which is strange because I missed the entire recoil escapement drawings questions (not enough time) and misinterpreted one of the longer questions (how to make a screw?). I guess what I did write was probably of a reasonable quality. I still know more about watches than clocks though.

If you need any advice for the next time you sit the exam then just ask. I know some of the other guys who were at he same exam didn't pass, so the pass rate probably isnt that great.