Watch winder: do or don't

Hi, is there something sensible to say about the use of a watch winder? Does it keep your  automatic watch in good health (oil-wise and 'use it or lose it' principle) or is it bad for the movement (main spring wound 24/7) and causing excessive wear to the moving parts. Keep hearing all sorts, I hope to find a clear answer.

Thanks for helping out!

I don't think I've ever heard a plausible explanation of why a watch winder would put more wear and tear on a watch than simply wearing it. I also don't think I've ever heard a plausible explanation of how exercising a watch would keep it "healthy".  Exercise for me, yes. A mechanical watch is going to need service whether it's been worn every day, or it's been sitting on a watch winder, or in a drawer.  Oils degrade, some more slowly than others, and it's amazing how over time dirt will get into a supposedly sealed watch. 

A properly maintained quality mechanical watch can last a very, very, long time, it can be an heirloom.  But it is the care taken with the watch when it's out and about in the world, and the regular maintenance given to it that makes this possible. The fact that it may have spent time on a watch winder is going to get lost in the noise :-)

Have Fun!