Frustrating

Slowly teaching myself how to repair watches - mostly interested in old pocket watches. Wrist watches are too small.

Anyhow - I'm getting a backlog of movements that I can't fix. Mostly down to two reasons:

1. Lack of skill: quite a few need new balance staffs and I'm not confident enough to do it
  2. Lack of parts - old watches are obsolete so getting parts isn't possible - which leads back to point 1 - if I had the skill I could make them.

Not much I can do except get a bigger drawer to store them all in until I can do them :)

I know what you mean. But you are learning you can identify parts. You can take them apart. Making parts for watches comes under learning advanced watchmaking skills. How about investing your money on a P/W that cost a little more then what you are paying.

13 hours ago, p2n said:

Wrist watches are too small.

No, anything at least 11 lignes is OK to learn on. Try vintage Swiss or German, not to mention Seiko. These you can then pleasantly wear, instead of looking a bit eccentric by pulling a chain to check time.

• Like 1