Screwdrivers Choices

I have an even older version of the Bergeon screwdriver. They look the same but has a longer knurling the the newer ones. They look a little different at the top where the knob is also. DSC09704.thumb.JPG.7356bd022d7f4c1607e2b8b9851c9217.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to dress your driver of proper width, to the proper thickness.    They all tend to get thicker as they get wider, to handle the torque. 

Hi ro63rto,   If the blades are straight, aligned and firm and remain that way when you fit Bergeon blades to them (better quality steel, not what they usually have which can scratch and damage the

This may sound like a silly question, but have you tried sharpening the existing ones?    

Posted Images

I would say yes. I had the same design as yours. Mine only went up to 120. I found I never needed any thing bigger for watches.

Picked the set up for 100US

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of upgrading my screwdrivers. So am about to buy this set https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bergeon-stainless-steel-ergonomic-9-pieces-rs 

But want some that has the same size handle as my chromium https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bergeon-chromium-plated-9-pieces-rs

Have the newer ones with the darker revolving stand. 

My opinion: just check if they are antimagnetic! This is probably one of themost relevant aspects. I have similar ones and they are not antimagnetic and one of them is always magnetized.  Searching data from then sent  links  is not stated that they are antimagnetic.

22 minutes ago, Henrique said:

My opinion: just check if they are antimagnetic! This is probably one of themost relevant aspects. I have similar ones and they are not antimagnetic and one of them is always magnetized.  Searching data from then sent  links  is not stated that they are antimagnetic.

That is mostly down to the blades. Change the blades for som antimagnetic or stainless steel ones and you should have no problem with magnetic screwdriver. Or buy a demagnitizer. 

I wondered as i have a Bergeon 5970 before.  And like the thicker handles on that . But would like to have a new set.  Sold my old bergeon 5970 with thin handles. 

But did the order today so time will tell. 

Must say they are very comfy . Holding the index finger on the top and twisting with the thumb and long finger. Much more then the old chromium ones. Just see how the work in the long run. 

They do look very comfortable! Eventually I want a set for myself, but for now my A*Fs will just have to do?

Anyone having any experience with that "declafor alloy"? I believe a saw a pretty much “thumbs down” post written by Mark Lovick, no?

“The Bergeon ‘Swiss Made’ 100% anti-magnetic blades are made from a super alloy known as declafor. This material is softer than the hardened stainless steel blades that are supplied with other sets.” Link here!

Edited by VWatchie

I have the first link set posted (colored plastic ends) and I’m happy with them. Some magnetism issues here and there but they are a step up from the basic A-F set I started out with. I use a basic permanent magnet demagnetizer on them as needed.

If the body is too narrow for you, just run a layer or two of shrink tubing on them to “fatten” them up. 

• 6 months later...

Good deal on screwdrivers passed on.

I ran across this sale on individual screwdrivers for .25 cents each a while back, and where I had low expectation but thought I would order some to use as disposables when needing a good edge. What I found is that there actually quit good prompting me to order more.  

They seem to be hardened and I haven’t tossed one yet. Fact is, I find myself reaching for these over the Bergeon which I paid over $20ea for.

Therefore, I am passing the find on to anyone needing a good eco screwdriver.

All the best, Will

https://timesavers.com/search.html?q=screwdriver&go=Search 

PS: shipping was $3.50

Order Details:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quantity: 4                                                          

Item: 2.0mm Flat Fixed Blade Screwdriver(33266)                       

Unit Price:                   $0.25                                  

Total Price:                  $1.00                                  

Item: 1.00mm Jeweler's Flat Blade Screwdriver (01322)                

Quantity: 2                                                          

Item: 0.60mm Jeweler's Flat Blade Screwdriver (01319)                

Total Price:                  $0.50                                  

Quantity: 6                                                          

Item: 1.40mm Jeweler's Flat Blade Screwdriver (01323)                

Total Price:                  $1.50                                  

Quantity: 6                                                          

Item: 1.20mm Flat Fixed Blade Screwdriver(33267)                     

Total Price:                  $1.50                                  

Item: 0.80mm Jeweler's Flat Blade Screwdriver (01320)                

subtotal:         $6.50

total:         $6.50

Shipping was $3.50

My pleasure, but I would like to add, in addition to someone starting out, anyone can use them as disposables (a screwdriver you don’t bother sharpening) dropping them in the can and grabbing a fresh one when the tips break down. Main thing is the tips are hardened so they don’t bugger your screw and these appear to be.  

Take care and Mary Christmas to all  

• 1 month later...

So I decided to buy a set of Indian screwdrivers from cousinsuk awhile back: 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/indian-stainless-steel-7-pieces

I'm now looking to upgrade my screwdrivers and I saw this on esslinger: 

https://www.esslinger.com/reversible-blade-replacement-screwdriver-straight-tip-set-watch-tool/

They're the same style of reversible blades that the Indian ones have and they're made in France. Should I try fitting them with these or just buy a whole new higher quality screwdriver set altogether?

A good set of watch screwdrivers is necessary. The better quality ones help you in your work they are easy to work with. If your budget is high get a set of Bergeon or Horotec.I have mentioned Horotec as many members on here use them and say they are very good. With care, they last a lifetime. I still have my Bergeon set from the 70’s there as good now as the day I bought them.

Unless you envision yourself using your screwdrivers multiple hours daily, then yours are fine. The part that does the real work is the blade and you're correct to zero in on improving the quality of your screwdrivers from the working end. I went the same route, btw. A new set of Bergeon or Horotec professional screwdrivers cost way more than my first automobile. As a hobbyist, there were some compromises to be made in the area of tools.

I'm including a link to Bergeon replaceable tips. They're likely available from any watchmaker tool supplier. I simply purchased the best tips available and inserted them into my own screwdriver set. The improvement was immediate and dramatic.

http://www.ofrei.com/page239.html

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

I am looking for my first set of screwdrivers and was browsing the Otto Frei website. I was looking up the Horotec's with ball bearings and came across a generic version.

Otto Frei description says, "These are the finest French made precision Screwdrivers. Set of 9 polished chromed brass screwdrivers with color coded rotating hexagon heads mounted on ball bearings(Base also rotates)." I was skeptical of the claim to be the finest because there is no mention of any brand and they're way less expensive at $56.95 than the Horotec set of 12 which go for $349. So I contacted a rep from Otto Frei and asked how they compared to the Horotecs. He said they were very similar in quality, but are less expensive because they are not sourced out of Switzerland like Horotec.

I was a bit shocked and still a bit skeptical. What do you guys think? Do you have experience with these particular drivers? The SKU is SCR-980.00

Here's the link: http://www.ofrei.com/page1362.html#30046

Hi  When you buy Bergeon you buy quality at a price, The french ones are ok . I believe I read some where Bergeon dont manufacture anything, some one else does the manufacture. I have screwdrivers I got 60 years ago and are bog standard nothing fancy and they still work ok  the knack looking after them.  the best tools do not make the best workman, good tools in the hands of an idiot are not much good but its not the tools fault. Buy the best you can afford at this time and maybe up grade as time progresses and as your skill level increases. add the tools as you go.  Cousins UK sell some under the A*F brand and they are ok .  all the best.

• Like 2

For what it's worth. I have only bought Bergeon screwdrivers that was back in the 70's and I still have them, they work just as fine today, I'm retired and don't use them very much, apart from tightening the screws on my glasses. I always thought Bergeon charge way to much for all there tools. Sorry I can't be more helpful.  

• Like 1

Years ago when I started in the watch repair hobby Dumont tweezers and Bergeon tools were the norm and the prices were not that bad but as the market has opened up the prices rose  and to day they are the most expensive, Others copied them but never beat them but the copies are now very good. Just like fake watches, years ago you could tell a fake from 10 yards now you have to examine them closely. But I think the tools are way better now.

• Like 1
  • jdm changed the title to Screwdrivers Choices
  • jdm pinned this topic