Screwdrivers Choices

• 2 months later...

You can use Bergeon tips. The berilium tips are not for tightening certain screws and are designed not to scratch the watch. One way is to use one screwdriver with steel tips to loosen the screw and continue with the berilium one...Horotec also make excellent steel blades and also specially ground tips... just as Bergeon.

In the US, ofrei, probably borel and esslinger offer a variety of them. In UK I'd try cousinsUK.

I never understood those soft screw driver blades, from my perspective, they're more likely to cause damage, imagine trying to undo a screw somewhere on a movement then the screw driver deforms, slips out of the screw slot and slides into the hairspring.

A decent steel screw driver blade + control is all I've ever needed. The geometry of the blade is designed not to scratch, so scratching screws should be a very rare occurrence, better to have a screw driver that will hold its form.

But to answer your question, I can't think why other brands of blades shouldn't fit the horotec screw drivers, they use the same size increments? .60 .80 1.00? unless the blades are wider or smaller at the screwdriver slot for some reason. (not accounting for the flat section that's filled away for the grub screw to tighten down on.)

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

Indeed a softer metal is meant to avoid scratches, then certainly if it's soft as butter that's too much.

Bergeon sells two types of premium tips,  packaged individually, the standard 4917 and the softer 8899 which cost twice as much. Both are 100% anti-magnetic.

Probably the idea is that one had both and use accordingly to the need.

All the other types and brands come 10 per pack and cost much less. I've not tried any of these.

• 1 month later...

I finally bought the Horotec Set of 10 stainless t-Type Screwdrivers (MSA-01.207). I used the larger drivers and was very pleased.

Today I had to use the .6mm and the .8mm for an old Omega Ladies watch (455 mvt). The lever set screw snapped the .8 and the second of two case screws (retaining screws) that needed the .6mm broke the .6.

These screwdrivers fit the screws well and I know how to apply the right amount of pressure while keeping the driver square to the screw face. I've used the Bergeons for over thirty years and switched since these were always soft (with intent) and bent with difficult screws. I was hoping that with the better fit of the hollow ground (T type) drivers I would have more consistent results. Again, the fit was good...better than my bergeons but that tip is too brittle. They snapped on screws that my bergeon had no problems managing.

Has anyone else had problems with this set? Are they all tempered to such a high hardness or is it possible I got a bad batch of heat treated drivers.

Thanks for any comments.

This is the second time I hear about Horotec failing. The first time was one of their press models. I wonder if they are, lately, outsourcing their stuff. I use Bergeon too, btw. You can also use Bergeon tips on those screwdrivers I believe.

• Like 1

That's not good at all given the price. The curse of Horror Tech strikes again.

The ironic thing is I posted an article about cheap Chinese screwdrivers a couple of years ago and then read a few posts at different times where folk have said that they would be a waste of money. I can tell you they have been very well used over the last couple of years and have never broken or twisted. I have dressed them twice over that period, but I would expect to do that with any screwdrivers that are being well used. I can honestly say they are the best value tools I have ever purchased, and I have way too many tools!

Here's my original article. http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/260-great-deal-on-screwdrivers/?hl=screwdrivers

• Like 1

Yeah, at this point, no matter what you pay you can never be sure where the stuff is coming from or what quality you are going to get! Stating the obvious, quality is always an issue therefore people are willing to pay a little more for a brand that has a track record of good, dependable equipment. It seems times are changing and it is not the case anymore. Alternatively, and back to the main issue, tips on screwdrivers can be shaped in any fashion necessary for the job so when a certain brand/quality tip is tested good, it can be modified to better serve...a pain sometimes but given the state of things...Oh well!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Horotec do some nice screwdrivers? But prefer Bergeon as i have used them before? 

I was a little disappointed when i ordered a new set of 5970 the other day? 

Have a set of this before. And wanted an other similar set for Swiss screws and movements. 

The other old  i am saving for Seiko and Citizen watches. 

The new one  where both shorter and had a larger diameter then the old ones? Heavier also? But great quality nevertheless.