Screwdrivers Choices

47 minutes ago, jdm said:

I don't know if mine are VOH or not, but they say made in France. They're not as expensive as Bergeon.

JC

Going by price (three times as much) VOH is supposed to be "better" than Bergeon. But I'll probably never know first hand emoji1.png

VOH seem to be one of the best out there, but price wise, -- and during my searches -- I can't seem to tell the difference in price from, let's say Bergeon et al, plus or minus a couple of dollars (not much), so I didn't get them. The French option is more in accordance to a quality product that is at the same time a much less expensive option. I still went the Bergeon way but also own a couple of French ones and I'm not complaining at all.

• 1 month later...

I have ordered recently a couple of Beregeon 30080  screwdrivers from Cousins. To my surprise I found them quite different from those I use from many years. First of all they do not fit to my Bergeon rotating stand. The small ones have now handles of larger diameter. They are also heavier than the former ones.

Bergeon 30080 new design.JPG

Old design at the left, new design at the right

Surprisingly it makes quite a difference in using them, particularly the small ones .

It seems that Bergeon has silently redesigned  its most popular screwdrivers in order reduce the manufacturing costs. Now there are only three sizes of handles depending on size of blades instead of six in former design. Be aware of that.  You need the new stand and time for getting used to this new design.

I looked through several Beregeon distributors. They still have old and new design. Since there is no way to distinguish old from new by part number (they all are 30080), it may happen that when you place the order for few different sizes, you will get mix of old and new. That will be really confusing. 

• 2 months later...

On Friday I received my new set of Horotec screwdrivers.

I'm very impressed with the quality of them, but the real point of this post is to let people know that if they are after new Screwdrivers that Eternal tools

https://www.eternaltools.com/

has them for £27 cheaper than Cousins if you live outside the EU.

I'm assuming its because they have old stock, but if you are after new screwdrivers you may want to visit the above website to grab some before they sell out and I'm guessing at that point their price will go up.

I don't think this breaches the forum rules mentioning a website that has the best price for a certain tool, but if it does happy for the post to be deleted. Cousins gets most of my money, but Eternal tools was definitely the best place to buy my new screwdrivers from.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If those a Indian, run, do not walk away... I bought a set of Indian screwdrivers and I knew better...Why I did it I don't know. I still have them, and when I am depressed and need a bit of cheering up, I bring them out and compare them to my Bergeons. Soon I am laughing so hard I am no longer depressed. :)

It's all good to save a buck where possible...Indian screwdrivers are not the place to save.

Ron

You can always buy Horotec or Bergeon replacement blades for less expensive holders. Check out Otto Frei and Esslinger to get a price range on these items. If your budget will permit you can pick up a set of Horotecs with the ball bearing holders for about $150.00. I have seen the prices of screwdrivers  range from less than $10.00 to hundreds of dollars for a set. The number one problem with the less expensive sets is the blades are too soft. A high quality replacement blade will correct that and save you some money.

david 

Edited by david

There are a lot of postings about Bergeon drivers of poor quality recently, however Bergeon makes at least 4 different types, perhaps more.

I have india made, Anchor brand drivers and they work perfectly, after more than 1 year I've replaced only one blade because I had damaged it myself.

One of my favorite watch restoration guru's is Steffen Pahlow. The screwdrivers he uses looks like he found them in a salvage bin at a pawn shop. I don't  think any two of his screwdrivers match. The important thing is the screwdrivers either turn the screws in and out or they do not. I have several sets, some are considered to be high quality and others are not. It is probably more about what you are used to then anything else. I have removed many screws with my el cheapo's and they work fine. I have removed screws with my Horotec's and they work fine. The Horotec's are extremely well made and do not have any wobbly components. The blades are perfectly centered in the holders and are high quality blades. That said, there is nothing wrong with the less expensive screwdrivers. The are not as beautifully made but they work fine.

david

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am interested in buying this set of screwdrivers from Watchtool.co.uk, but i have read that the website has many bad reviews. I really like the screwdrivers and base for the price and I haven't been able to find it elsewhere online. Has anyone ever had a problem with this site shipping to the U.S.? or has anyone ever purchased these screwdrivers and has a good review? Any input is appreciated.

http://www.watchtool.co.uk/switzerland-189770-screwdrivers-stand-p-7762.html

• Like 1

I don't know if it would be worth it to buy from UK when you have to pay shipping to US. Have you tried Esslinger?  They have watch tools at a reasonable price and they are in the US.  I've bought from them many times and I've always been satisfied.  Just look up Esslinger.com

Hope this helps.

Shilrey