Screwdrivers Choices

Bergeon does not manufacture they just rebrand. The "best" screwdrivers are supposed to be VOH from France. I have and still use a cheap seat of the "Anchor" brand and they work perfectly, just they don't have a stand and the smaller is 0.80.

The AF screwdrivers are very nice. Ball bearing ends and nicely weighted. These are made in France. The same item is re-branded by Beco which is a German company you occasionally see on eBay. 

I'd say the tips are more important than the handles themselves; I use AF Swiss tips, and used to use these on an old Indian set which worked out well. 

• Like 1

I use this Bergeon set, the Bergeon 30081-S:

berg30081-s09new.jpg 

but have been incorporating other models from the same brand as well as others from other brands, mainly AF and Horotec.

I'd say, if you go the Bergeon way, don't get the ones with the round top. They will roll and fall from the bench as soon as you forgot you left them laying on it. The AF and Horotec are nice. Some people prefer the Horotec to the Bergeon...I like them both about the same...Horotec has a nicer, more accommodating top that should be good for certain hands while Bergeon will accommodate others. AF is a compromise between them. They all get the same tips...which I use from Bergeon, both steel and non marking (soft material).

If you go the Indian or Chinese way, some may accommodate good quality tips...I did experiment that way but they were not exactly centered or had a fitting problem, so you have to be careful about which you choose being the quality so variable.

In fact, I went the Bergeon way after my first cheapo set and have never looked back...OK, maybe sideways since, as I mentioned, I got some other brands too.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information everyone. I think I will go the Begeon way but try some others as well. And I guess you can never truly have enough screwdrivers, right? This set I'm looking at I like because it seems to have a good set up though not enough screwdrivers. I'm assuming the screwdrivers shown are some of the most used. 

BG7011.jpg

Well, that's a combination with the oil pins and the oil wells. It is a compromise to have an "all included" fixture on your bench but it would be limited to only 5 screwdrivers. If you always work on a certain caliber, then 5 is more than enough I'd say...but if you don't you will have to buy more different and same size. The reason is you must shape the tip of your screwdrivers according to the screw you intent to work on. So the same size might have to be adjusted to one type of screw and so on as needed. Example and clarification: Maybe the plate screws are 1.2 mm but the "groove" is deep and wide so one 1.2 mm tip is shaped accordingly. Then you have a 1.2 mm pallet bridge screw with a narrow and shallow "groove"...and now you will need to have another 1.2 mm screw driver shaped accordingly...or waist time either changing tips or re-shaping the same tip! And that "pretending" example is just for one movement. When you change movements the story would repeat!

That's why I took this example as a test bed for other screwdrivers' types/brands...one more way to "gain experience" one screwdriver at a time. :)

Yes, Oldhippy, I got those screwdrivers' too...and they roll! Well, maybe not as drastically as I put it but the other ones don't do that for sure and the shape of the top (and hopefully the bearings) are much nicer...but then again, yours are the "original" design and the other ones an "evolution" of that successful design I guess.

They are still made but they are the "bottom" of the line now, the ones I use is just a "step up" from them...and then you have the ones pictured with the oilers which are supposed to be a higher grade but I believe they don't have much acceptance (not sure). It is the next generation ones the real nice ones...but they are expensive and honestly I have none. It doesn't justify the investment.

Either way, they are all nice, quality, lasting tools that will do the job well, comfortably and precisely.

Cheers,

Bob

We were posting at the same time, Stuart! :)

Yes, I have a 3mm screwdriver (only). I'd say if my main Bergeon set is a 10, those are a solid 9...as ofrei rates them! :)

I just find their weight a little over my preference...or it is maybe because it is a large one.

Cheers,

Bob

5 hours ago, StuartBaker104 said:

I have this set and I'm very happy with them...

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/af-swiss-stainless-steel-9-pieces-rs

That's the one i've got, not too expensive, good for beginners like me who are not sure if they're going to fail miserably or not. :unsure: I must admit that Bergeon set looks the bees knees, i'd almost want to put it on the mantlepiece as an ornament. B)

Edited by Daveb

I use the Bergeon 30081S  set as well. I thought this was going to be the tool I used the most so it justifies the expense... they look good as well.

Whichever you go for, make sure you keep them sharp, there is no point having good quality screwdrivers if they are not in good condition.

This set I'm looking at I like because it seems to have a good set up though not enough screwdrivers. I'm assuming the screwdrivers shown are some of the most used. 

I work on current Seiko and practically use only two sizes. But even if working on more varied watches I can't imagine using more than four sizes frequently. However what one may need is two sets with different blade thickness, because Japanese screw slots are wider. Also popular soft tips to work when working precious movements to lessen chanches of lealing markd.
  • Like 1

I just bought the Bergeon 5970 set from Esslinger. Very pleased with the feel and quality. As for them rolling off the bench, i tend to keep my bench level so as to alleviate the tendency to roll for any great distance. I had purchased a cheap set from India and they were a pathetic joke. The chrome was peeling off just sitting and the tips would fall out every time you picked one up. The set screws were all stripped from constantly trying to re tighten them. I knew better than to buy cheap tools, but wasn't sure at the time if I would continue with the hobby. The replacement tips for the Bergeon are cheap and one could resize them for any application really...easy enough to change.

Ron

This is the set I've bought at the HK fair ($20? or 25?). I liked the barreled handle in case I meet a sturdy bracelet screw. Tips are excellent but sizes were not marked so I put my labels on it. Also showing the ridged tablet I bought to keep tools in place.My other set (on the tablet) is from India, and I had no issues whatsoever with it .

PA020028.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rodabod said:

Where does one find one of these ridged tablets?

You could go to a place that sells rubber mats? That you have in the industry . V-ribbed rubber mats? Just as an example? http://www.guldstrom.se/sv/utrustning-fran-usa/rubber-matting-v-ribbed-black

Available in different sizes and shapes . Round ribbed. 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

Bergeon does not manufacture they just rebrand. The "best" screwdrivers are supposed to be VOH from France. I have and still use a cheap seat of the "Anchor" brand and they work perfectly, just they don't have a stand and the smaller is 0.80.

Yes I use the French screwdriver set and it's excellent. You can replace the tips with Bergeron brand if you like to spend extra money, but these are fine for me.
JC

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Yes I use the French screwdriver set and it's excellent. You can replace the tips with Bergeron brand if you like to spend extra money, but these are fine for me.
JC

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Going by price (three times as much) VOH is supposed to be "better" than Bergeon. But I'll probably never know first hand [emoji1]