Screwdrivers Choices

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

look for some advice on getting a screwdriver set to service watches with.

I first fought a $14 screwdriver set off of Amazon. First use the bit falls out of it. First use it bends. There was one screw none of the screwdrivers would fit to unscrew the screw in the watch I was learning on.

I returned that set and bought a professional set for $45 dollars.

I ran in to the same problem the smallest driver could not unscrew the screw and kept slipping out of the head of the screw. I tried larger size. It seems the tips are not fitting in to the head well enough.

I put to much pressure on the screwdriver and the shaft of the screwdriver snapped off while bouncing off my face,. Lol

I am glad I had the magnifying glasses on.

not sure if I am doing something wrong or I bought bad screwdriver set.

most likely it’s both,.. ?

where to buy the correct screwdriver set and what should the cost normally be?

I really thought the $45 set was professional set

Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

44 minutes ago, Sidney said:

Hello Everyone,

look for some advice on getting a screwdriver set to service watches with.

Good day,

Here is huge selection:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/screwdrivers-individual

I never buy a set, but rather individual screwdrivers based on my needs: 0.5mm, 0.8, 1.00, 1.20, 1.40 ? (almost a set).

Any 2.50 GBP screwdriver from the link above will be fine for your needs. Just make sure to use screwdrivers according to the size of the screw head. If you use 0.5mm blade on 1.00mm screw head - you will damage both, the screwdriver and the screw. If you use 1.2mm screwdriver you will shave the metal around the screw head - also not desirable..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Has anyone ever worked with these set/brand of Horia screw drivers? They seem to be swiss like Horotec but I'm not sure. I've never seen these and was wondering of they are a good buy for 79.95 USD. from Cas-Ker Co.

Blades are firmly held by set screw. Sizes .60 .80 1.00 1.20 1.40 1.60 2.00 and 2.50mm. Swivel ball bearing heads and knurled handles. Space-saving stable stand is angled forward for ease of selection.

any and all help is appreciated.

Horia Watchmaker Screwdrivers.jpg

13 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   Horotec do supply some good well made tools so there is no reason to suppose their screwdrivers are any different,  are the Conventional blade or the "T" blade variety, If so you will need to get hold of their cylnder sharpener to keep them dressed they aren't cheap pic attached

s-l1600.jpg

I own one. It is a great tool but it’s expensive. After re- shaping the screwdriver tips to a T shape it definitely grips the screw head firmer with less chance of a slip. 

• 7 months later...

Hi all.

Although I am currently using a couple of sets of cheap eBay Watchmakers screwdrivers and once the blades have been ground and hardened they actually perform quite well, I have still been hankering after a set of Bergeon drivers, I have been looking at their offerings at Cousins and am a little confused.

They after 3 basic types, Aluminium, Chrome & Stainless Steel, in both 9 & 10 piece sets but the price difference seems to make no sense.

In Aluminium the 9 piece set costs £135 but the 10 piece set costs £215, so £80 for one extra driver.

In Chrome the 9 piece set costs  £97.95 but the 10 piece set costs  £215 so  £117.95 for one extra driver.

In Stainless the 9 piece set costs  £93.95 but the 10 piece set costs £174.95 so £81 for one extra driver.

What am I missing here as their prices do not add up to me, how can one extra driver cost so much.

Thanks for any input on this.

Also on the subject of Bergeon drivers what's the best blade material, their Hardened steel or their hardened stainless steel.

Thanks.

Paul

3 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Hi all.

Although I am currently using a couple of sets of cheap eBay Watchmakers screwdrivers and once the blades have been ground and hardened they actually perform quite well, I have still been hankering after a set of Bergeon drivers, I have been looking at their offerings at Cousins and am a little confused.

They after 3 basic types, Aluminium, Chrome & Stainless Steel, in both 9 & 10 piece sets but the price difference seems to make no sense.

In Aluminium the 9 piece set costs £135 but the 10 piece set costs £215, so £80 for one extra driver.

In Chrome the 9 piece set costs  £97.95 but the 10 piece set costs  £215 so  £117.95 for one extra driver.

In Stainless the 9 piece set costs  £93.95 but the 10 piece set costs £174.95 so £81 for one extra driver.

What am I missing here as their prices do not add up to me, how can one extra driver cost so much.

Thanks for any input on this.

Also on the subject of Bergeon drivers what's the best blade material, their Hardened steel or their hardened stainless steel.

Thanks.

Paul

Did the more expensive ones come with a stand? The price of Swiss tools is crazy but they hold their value if you ever sell them on. 

Bergeon have the name in watchmaking tools but there are others who's tools perform equally as well namley Horotec,  AF  etc, like tweezers the name is Dupont  but again there are others that perform  well enough and with care like anything will last a life time,  I have screwdrivers bought when I was sixteen , now 77 and they still perform well. So like anything buy the best you can afford and look after them. If you wish to emulate the professionals  Then buy the Bergeon and Dupont branded tools.  The essence is looking after them. 

Thanks for the replies.

I will probably stick to a lesser just as good make if I was honest with myself, after all my £5 Chinese set does all that could ask of it now that I have hardened the blades.

Just trying to get my head around why the are charging for example with the Chrome set an extra £117 for the 3mm Driver when they sell the same 3mm driver on its own for £11.95.

Paul 

2 hours ago, Paul80 said:

Just trying to get my head around why the are charging for example with the Chrome set an extra £117 for the 3mm Driver when they sell the same 3mm driver on its own for £11.95

Maybe a listing mistake because Swiss tool prices often don't make sense but a single screwdriver for GBP 117 is still unheard of. 

Well, here are my screwdrivers.  The first picture is a Bergeon set my Dad gave me about 50 yrs ago.  The next set was in the watch bench I inherited.  The third set was partially inherited and supplemented with two new bergeon drivers.  The last pic shows large drivers (seldom used) which I inherited.  Most of these are Bergeon and I am quite fond of them.  The others are not, but still old and quite good.

I do not understand the color codes, so have printed one for the second set below, so that I can put them in order after I have completed a job.  The first set remains in the box...archived as it were...cherished.

First set.png

wroking set 1.png

working set 2.png

something big.png

Hi.

I have found some excellent quality screwdrivers at a very good price, extreamly well made and with blades so we'll ground at the factory they were all usable from the packet.

All sizes are priced at £2.50 each, sizes from 0.5mm to 3mm.

Have a look at these.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/cousins-swiss-style-stainless-steel

Paul

Sorry, missed that post so didn't know the Cousins ones were made by A*F. That would explain why they are so good and at a fraction the price A*F are asking for theirs.

Another good set that cost even less are these Chinese ones of EvilBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283869388844

The Tips do need honing to the correct shape as they are quite poorly ground in the factory but once fettled they turned out to be a very good well made beginners set of drivers.

Edited by Paul80