Screwdrivers Choices

Interesting.

But would you think I should just aim for a stainless steel set and then just pick a brand at the right price?

I suppose I'm aiming at mid range... which is why I was thinking of buying individually.

I have just placed the Bergeon 5 piece stainless steel in plastic wallet, plus a pair of spares for each in my Cousins basket. Hoping the spread of sizes will suffice initially.

I have a circular non rotating stand from the cheap set that might be reusable. But I'm not overly pushed for now if it's not.

This is a good set that covers most of want you will need. It gives you the size of the blades. Get a good set it makes it easier to work with and a good set will last you a life time. You can always add to your set by buying individual sizes. You can buy replacement blades.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263546041715?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=263546041715&targetid=938697917686&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045349&poi=&campaignid=10204071033&mkgroupid=100040608497&rlsatarget=pla-938697917686&abcId=1145987&merchantid=110769374&gclid=Cj0KCQjwufn8BRCwARIsAKzP697RLa9t_tDcxU8s3q9oLCHy-wwVE1DAhfki-oFAoE-OTgKKzR_VEo4aAt8uEALw_wcB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

This is a good set that covers most of want you will need. It gives you the size of the blades. Get a good set it makes it easier to work with and a good set will last you a life time. You can always add to your set by buying individual sizes. You can buy replacement blades.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263546041715?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=263546041715&targetid=938697917686&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045349&poi=&campaignid=10204071033&mkgroupid=100040608497&rlsatarget=pla-938697917686&abcId=1145987&merchantid=110769374&gclid=Cj0KCQjwufn8BRCwARIsAKzP697RLa9t_tDcxU8s3q9oLCHy-wwVE1DAhfki-oFAoE-OTgKKzR_VEo4aAt8uEALw_wcB

Yes that it to one I selected from Cousins. I was just worried that it wasn't as good as I thought.

39 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

There has been much debate on this site regarding screwdrivers and the difference between parallel and standard.  Might be useful for you to have a look via the search function on the top right of the home page. I am sure you will find some useful data.         cheers

Thanks. That is what I've been doing, and on the web in general, but there's so much info. From what I can tell there are some quality concerns about Bergeon (who knows!!??) and I should consider A*F, but I can't find them anywhere!

Funds aren't unlimited and it's the usual story of being worried about buying the wrong thing.

I'm happy to go with that Bergeon set if it's OK

43 minutes ago, jdm said:

These were the branded, click on "alternatives" to get the unbranded same one I've mentioned above.

GBP 37 + VAT is stupid expensive for just 5 drivers, the usual Bergeon ripoff.

Yeah so I guess my questions is... I obviously currently have something akin to "Value" range. I can see the Cousins range is next in line but I thought I would go for something better, perhaps individually... so that's Bergeon. Then I thought A*F but I can't get them, so now it's essentially a choice between the Cousins Swiss stainless steel and the Bergeon!

3 minutes ago, kabong said:

They are essentially out of stock unfortunately.

As mentioned twice above. You need to click "alternatives" for the same unbranded product, at a reduced price. Not from the "value" line, although these can be very useful too, for a wider blade second set. 

9 minutes ago, kabong said:

Oh, so the "Cousins" unbranded ones offered as an alternative are actually the A*F brand?

Yes, as I wrote above. You being new here haven't seen the relevant discusssion including the explicit confirmation by Sam Cousins. As watchweasol mentioned it's always worth to use the search function. 

My first set was A-F and their quality is fine. 

I purchased a Burgeon set several years ago in a rotating stand for $90 from ofrei. They have the same set for a bit more now, but still a good deal. 

I have recently replaced the blades on some with new antimagnetic Burgeon blades and it was a great upgrade (blades came from StarTime). 

So, I suggest the kit from ofrei, and when you need to sharpen the blades, upgrade them. (look under ‘specials’ for the driver kit I think)

• jdm changed the title to Screwdrivers Choices
  • jdm pinned this topic

The blade material is comparable to tweezer material (which is probably another huge thread like this, since tweezers and screwdrivers are used as much as loupes and lights).

Carbon steel will have the highest hardness, which means it will hold their edge longest. But it magnetizes easily. One close fly-by of the aliens and they’ll stick to the fridge. And harder is more brittle (less toughness) so they are more likely to chip. Keep a close eye on these tips in use.

Stainless will be softer, due to more nickel in place of iron. These may, or may not, be magnetic, but generally less susceptible to magnetism than carbon steel. (You should have a demagnetizer anyway) These are probably the best compromise of price:performance. Higher toughness, so they bend before they break. Less likely to “catastrophically fail” than harder blades. But possibly unable to remove stubborn, over-tightened screws.

Lastly, these latest blades I got from StarTime. Probably sold elsewhere to. Burgeon brand. Hard like carbon steel, very nicely dressed and fully (even the blade chamfers) polished and non magnetic. These blades were like going from Walmart to Dumont tweezers. Unbelievable difference and so much easier to work with. 

So, I say get the handles that you are most comfortable with, and these specific blades. They are *that* good.  The tips can be blunted to widen them for Seiko screws. I may get another A-F set and blunt these tips in them for Seiko only...

Finally, this top set on this page is the set I bought a few years ago on special for $90.  I think this is still a great buy, at today’s price, since you get a set of drivers, the stand, and spare blades for each. This is the set I’d recommend- maybe a stretch to purchase initially, but they will last a lifetime. The base is heavy and does not move around. Color codes are easy to see, even without glasses.

http://www.ofrei.com/page1361.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I only have some inexpensive screwdrivers at the moment and am struggling with getting the right fit in the crown wheel and barrel wheel central screws on a ladies Zenith 88 movement. The slots in the screw heads are very narrow but are also broad. Even my smallest blade does not fit the narrow width, and even if it did it would only fit a small part along the slot so I would not be confident that I wouldn’t chew it up.

Any suggestions as to what size and brand of screwdriver I need for this job please?

I only have some inexpensive screwdrivers at the moment and am struggling with getting the right fit in the crown wheel and barrel wheel central screws on a ladies Zenith 88 movement. The slots in the screw heads are very narrow but broad. Even my smallest blade does not fit the narrow width and even if it did it would only fit a small part along the slot so I would not be confident that I wouldn’t chew it up.

Any suggestions as to what size and brand of screwdriver I need for this job please?

34 minutes ago, dab said:

Would I be better off using a parallel sided blade for the crown / barrel wheel screws?

e.g. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/cousins-parallel-stainless-steel?code=S55420

Hi, I got me a screwdriver sharpener set to dress with inexpensive blades as I need, I don't know or think any particular set provides all you may ever come to need, while a quality set is nice to have and  may add up cheaper for a jobber in the long run, as a hobbiest/collector I rather destroy a screw driver than a rare watch.

Good luck.