Beginners bench

PeterS

I quickly realised that a standard desk is too low for working on watches.
The portable benches are expensive never mind proper benches. Yes I could make something but I wonder whether someone is using something from Ikea or similar. Something that wouldn’t require much effort and wouldn’t cost too much.

You should build your bench for you, have built up sides so tools do not roll off.  People’s postures are all different. It is important you should have plenty of leg room, comfortable seat, plenty of working space in which to work, easy reach of tools, you don’t want to have to get up each time you need a different tool, very good lighting with no shadow a light and airy space no carpet flooring. Put a lot of thinking into such a project remember its for your comfort and you are going to spend hours there bent over looking at very tiny parts.

If only I had half of what you say oldhippy.

But atleast I convinced the wife to let me have the old desk as a work station so I am no longer setting up on the dining table.

But I do have a very good LED work light and it was worth every cent I spent on it.

• Like 1

I'm using the dining table at this moment!

I’m struggling for space, I’m looking for something to go on the top to raise the working area. Something like the portable bench cousins sell:
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watchmakers-portable-bench-horotec-swiss
A single drawer would be fine for now, certainly better than Cousins catalogue I’ve been using.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I had quite large workshop, but you never have enough space.:D

It used to be easier when people had a study. Now we have tablets and they have been turned into something more ‘useful’ so it’s a struggle to find space.
I wouldn’t mind getting a proper desk, I would make space for it but I only just got into this hobby and I need tools more than anything at this moment.
A single drawer, coffee table and cut the legs to the right height, something like that.

When I was working on our dining room table, instead of raising the table, I lowered my chair. I sat on a foot stool with my legs stretched out in from of me like a Formula 1 driver. Worked well enough until I decided to get a good bench.

Edited by dadistic

46 minutes ago, dadistic said:

When I was working on our dining room table, instead of raising the table, I lowered my chair. I sat on a foot stool with my legs stretched out in from of me like a Formula 1 driver. Worked well enough until I decided to get a good bench.

:D

I bet many guys bodged something up when they started and I will as well

These professional Swiss benches, the most amazing thing I noticed it is the wide range of height adjustment via telescopic legs. My idea was to use square section steel tubes with wooden posts inside and dowels to set height, never tried it as I managed to pick up a surplus bench, but the right size tube should work with an Ikea table as most have square legs.

• 2 weeks later...

Another alternative is to use a 'Long Arm' microscope which obviates the need for a bench with height adjustment. I purchased a pine desk for very little money from auction, painted it white, and covered the top with white vinyl. The eye pieces are at eye level, easily adjustable and can be pushed out the way for other work. No back strain, no eye strain and best of all can find parts that try to escape.

4 hours ago, chrisdt said:

Another alternative is to use a 'Long Arm' microscope which obviates the need for a bench with height adjustment. I purchased a pine desk for very little money from auction, painted it white, and covered the top with white vinyl. The eye pieces are at eye level, easily adjustable and can be pushed out the way for other work. No back strain, no eye strain and best of all can find parts that try to escape.

I'd love to see it, could you post a picture or two?

I have a regular sized desk. Glass desk at that, however, what has worked for me was my chair is hydraulic and I can lower comfortably as if I'm sitting at a bench. Not optimal but works for me and I'm about 5'11" tall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the first linked bench idea. IKEA near me offeres solid wood tops for kitchen countertops and that would be a perfect addition. 

I pkanbto set up under a window in the basement. It’s not a huge window but bigger than most basement windows. Plenty of LED lighting above and on the sides. 

I thought those foamy yoga mats would be a good base with the green drafting Matt on top. This limits bouncing and rolling of small parts. A back and sides are really mandatory. I thought like a hockey rink, with clear one I sides going up at least 12” on each side. It’s anazing how far tiny stuff flies with a little energy input. 

Great ideas guys! And with ikea almost walking distance away, frequent trips are not s problem. 

I would like to integrate a computer somehow. Most of my documentation is soft now, although I usually print what I need and add hand notes. 

Ive been through “5S” and “lean manufacturing “ training and it really helps when setting things like this up.