What is this levers purpose

clockboy

Working on another Westminster clock and hit another issue. I guess I have got the sequence wrong because the chiming cam does not stop until this lever hits the high spot on the hour segment. I can not fathom what the purpose of this lever is. It has a flag shape on the inside and this hits a pin on a wheel and so stops the chiming wheel. This arm was badly bent & I have straightened it and also the pin is also bent and it looks like the flag part is badly worn. Any ideas what its function is.5aed9bad17e3c_Whatisthislever.thumb.jpg.219aca0db1a7451a61e5e5f5037f635f.jpg5aed9bbacd756_bentlever.thumb.jpg.219e8e3f1ebeef80ec50d8ddfa4ee4f0.jpg5aed9bc5c40f0_leverwedge.thumb.jpg.422eeb2b368e6e2ab4664365101743db.jpg

That part is not worn. Providing it is smooth it will be ok. The lever with red arrow should lift and stop the wheel with pin on the worning. When it drops the lever in the cam wheel will rise and travel until it drops in the next space, in turn the lever with red arrow should also drop ready for the next sequence. Those two steel bent pins need to be the other way around, they could drop out, the thick parts should always be at the top. 

Thanks oldhippy because of a family issue I will not be able to re-visit this until Monday.

I have had the movement apart several times & I did have it all working correctly apart from when it was on the hour. As the chime wheel/cam turned it was OK until the levers pin raises on the high part of the hour wheel/cam.Then the top part of the flag part rests the pin on the wheel. This then stops the chime wheel turning. Is this correct or should the pin not rest the wheel at this moment. The reason I am thinking this is the arm of this lever was bent downwards & I guess a previous  repairer had come to the same conclusion.

If the wheels and levers are set correctly you should first have the warning then release for the clock to chime then stop. The wheels and levers should then be in the same place apart from the cam wheel, which would have moved to the next position for the next chime.

If it is tripping, then I would say this lever is at fault. The part with black arrow should be straight so the steel pin sits straight into the cam and not at an angle. The red arrow part should be straight to the black part. The part with green arrow should be smooth so the pin slips away easy. Some are set at an angle, but I do not think so with this movement.  

5aed9bc5c40f0_leverwedge.thumb.jpg.422eeb2b368e6e2ab4664365101743db.png

Thanks. I am pretty sure everything at one stage was correct ie levers & wheels in the correct position. The only fault is when the lever rides over the raised section of the chime cam. It locks the warning wheel pin. However I have come to the same conclusion that this lever is the fault. Where you have the green arrow is rough almost as though someone has reduced it with a rough file, it is also in a wedge shape.  The lever was badly bent and the pin does not sit straight. I will (hopefully) have another look tomorrow. 

Thanks again for you help much appreciated.

Thanks. Found out today that the clock has not run for approx 5 years. Customer just hoping for it to run again. The clock part works great just the chimes to sort. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to sort.

I think the fault has been eliminated. The lever that Oldhippy suspected was the fault. It had two faults the, first was the flag was catching the warning pin because it had a very rough surface, secondly the lever was bent outwards so it was catching the chiming cam (see pic). I have had it on test and it chiming in the correct sequence for the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & hour. Just need to re-aasemble when time (family issue)

5af18d62b4661_Whatisthislever.thumb.jpg.d3321d542c997b3eed7593eab86ed4cc.jpg

• Like 1