How to remove case back on vintage Mido

There are openers which fit the flats on the back..  It unscrews off. Google "mido caseback opener".

If you have a small adjustable wrench that can work but you may need to file the ends flat. 

Anilv

• Like 1

Try a rubber ball used for case backs or anilv's suggestion but be careful not to scratch the case.

Another solution is gluing something onto the case back such as a screw driver and then rotating the case back out. The glue can be easily cleaned afterwards. Just don't use too much so that it'll drip around.

It is a screw back. This is the type of tool you need. It is universal, unscrews many types and comes with fittings for what you need.

https://www.esslinger.com/universal-watch-back-opener-waterproof-watch-wrench-with-pins-jaxa-style/

There are many cheap made in china ones about that are poor, I would avoid those.  

This is the type I had. Two handed type. I don't think they make this type anymore

image.jpeg.638251bd6cc366b8ae7c74bc471183fa.jpeg

Edited by oldhippy

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

There are many cheap made in china ones about that are poor, I would avoid those.
This is the type I had. Two handed type. I don't think they make this type anymore

Yes they do https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/double-handed-up-to-060mm?code=C35303

BTW the Chinese single handle one are normally fine. The reason why sometime one can't open a tight caseback with it is because the watch is not hold firmly, and/or not enough vertical pressure from the top.

3 hours ago, Chopin said:

Another solution is gluing something onto the case back such as a screw driver and then rotating the case back out.

I recommend against that, which can be expeditious in extreme situations, but it's not a best practice. There are case opener tools for any budget, just invest in one of these.

It's important that Jaxa-type openers have minimal play. I've owned Indian/Chinese ones which were crap. Eventually got a Swiss two handle version which is very good.

For extremely seized case backs, I use either a large nut glued on with superglue, or if it's more extreme, I use a brass bar (to form a handle) which I adhere with two-part epoxy.

1 hour ago, rodabod said:

For extremely seized case backs, I use either a large nut glued on with superglue, or if it's more extreme, I use a brass bar (to form a handle) which I adhere with two-part epoxy.

I use instead a classic type bench opener and it hasn't ever failed me. Nothing messy to deal with and nothing to clean after. Changing attachment it can also open Rolex, Breitling and other proprietary case backs. Related thread:

I use instead a classic type bench opener and it hasn't ever failed me. Nothing messy to deal with and nothing to clean after. Changing attachment it can also open Rolex, Breitling and other proprietary case backs. Related thread:

Thank you I'll give this a try

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes they do https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/double-handed-up-to-060mm?code=C35303
BTW the Chinese single handle one are normally fine. The reason why sometime one can't open a tight caseback with it is because the watch is not hold firmly, and/or not enough vertical pressure from the top.
I have the single handle one I'll give that a shot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I also have access to a bench top type, but you can in some instances end up with a case back that is so seized that the key slots start to crack due to the force applied. It's a particular problem with Dennison-made Smiths cases from the late 60's as the keys are shallow, and the steel is not especially strong.