Timing after service

I was hoping someone could give me some advice.  I’m an extreme novice at watch repair. By watch repair I mean I can break down a movement, clean it in my machine(old style L&R with the three jars), lubricate and re-assemble it. Issue I’m having is when I attempt to regulate it on my Timegrapher. I can get the beat error within an acceptable range, but when I attempt to adjust the timing it throws the beat error out of adjustment.  If I get the watch to within an acceptable seconds per day in the dial down position, it is thrown way off as soon as I change positions. I check all parts for any damage before reassembling. I check the hairspring to make sure it’s not getting hung up anywhere. I just have no idea what I’m missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks!

First and foremost. The movement you are using, was it working fine before ? Are you sure that you're using a perfectly "healthy" movement ? It's important to know this... If there's some damage or problems in there, it might never really show the correct numbers on the tiemgrapher.

• Like 1

Do you have a specific watch in other words could we have the model number of the watch that's having a problem? Then a picture of the watch so we can see the layout of the regulator components. Otherwise generic questions get generic answers which may or may not apply to the specific problem watch.

So a generic answer with me having to guess the type of watch you have. So for that I've attached images I'm assuming if the wording you have a watch that the stud can be moved and the regulator can be moved? So to make sure you're moving the correct ones I've attached images. Sometimes there is confusion over which one does what that leads to confusing results.

So the problem of the regulating system like this is it has lots of range to it it's a very very sensitive to movement. Then the parts are stacked on top of each other they can move together even though they're not supposed to. This just requires lots of patients moving things around.

Then without specifics again too many answers to many questions. Just because you have a nifty timegrapher Capable of measuring depending on which one a fraction of a second doesn't mean you can regulate the watch to keep zero timekeeping in all positions.

So now that we have the background out of the way were still back to the specific watch. As a newbie you can stare at a watch all day and night and very likely you cannot or will not see the problem because you don't have the experience to know what it is you're looking for. As you've already stated everything looks perfect yet your perceiving you're having a problem. This is where we need a specific watch to address the problems one of the time. Then timing machine results it be nice if we could see those.

HS-Fine.JPG

HS-Reg.JPG

HS-Stud.JPG

• Like 1

Props to you for wanting great precision, but if the watch is not designed for this kind of precision to begin with, you'll be trying to achieve the impossible. For a bit more perspective, to be "chronometer-certified", the daily variation must be less than -4/+6 sec/day (corresponds to a 99.99% degree of accuracy...

If every watch I take care of is within -10/+10 seconds per day, it's a win in my book...

6 hours ago, Chopin said:

First and foremost. The movement you are using, was it working fine before ? Are you sure that you're using a perfectly "healthy" movement ? It's important to know this... If there's some damage or problems in there, it might never really show the correct numbers on the tiemgrapher.

6 hours ago, Chopin said:

It functioned properly and seemed to keep time. The only issue I had was the stem was a little stiff. It became worse, to the point where I tried to set it, and the crown would unscrew. The movement was pretty filthy so I thought a cleaning and oil would fix the issue. When I reassembled it everything seemed to work fine other than timing problem. It’s a Lorsa movement, which although I’m no expert, does not seem to be of the highest quality. 

16 minutes ago, Richtreem37 said:

It functioned properly and seemed to keep time. The only issue I had was the stem was a little stiff. It became worse, to the point where I tried to set it, and the crown would unscrew. The movement was pretty filthy so I thought a cleaning and oil would fix the issue. When I reassembled it everything seemed to work fine other than timing problem. It’s a Lorsa movement, which although I’m no expert, does not seem to be of the highest quality. 

I'm a beginner as well and sometimes something like this happens and in most cases it was just the balance wheel needed a more thorough cleaning and then the reading was much better. In your case maybe dirt got stuck inbetween the regulating arms, make sure the hairspring didn't get damaged when timing it.

I’ve seen some watches where the regulator and stud both were designed to move and they were mounted sandwiched on each other. When necessary, I use a fine oiler and place a little oil around the area where the two components rotate on themselves. This helps to prevent one piece being adjusted but inadvertently causing the other to be moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk