Stuck Screw Back

Hi everyone,

I know there has been previous topics on this but I have a Armani watch a customer brought to me to replace the battery and a stem. I have tried everything and nothing will budge it now my question is on super gluing a bolt on the back of the watch. I know you soak it in acetone after the back is off to remove the bolt and get rid of the glue. My worry is that once I glue this bolt on that it still wont move and if that is the case then how would i remove both the bolt and the super glue because i cant soak the whole watch in acetone for the obvious reason. Im also open to other suggestions as i have used every tool and trick i can think of.

Thanks

What does the caseback look like? If its the standard 'water-resistant'  threaded type,  and you've tried a Jaxa wrench with no success, gluing a bolt onto the back does indeed work. I usually do it with JB weld epoxy which forms a very strong bond and it has always worked. Getting the bolt off requires heating it up with a pencil tip butane torch (!)

Using superglue should work, but if it doesn't you can always take a glass eye dropper and place a few drops of acetone around the bolt to get it off. My concern would be if the superglue DOESN't work and the bolt just pops off of the caseback when you apply wrench torque.

J  

Thanks, yes it is your typical water resistant threaded case back that has not had a battery changed on it. Guy bought it about six months ago so it is tight from the factory. Never thought of using an eye dropper, thanks for the info im going to try the super glue trick first and go from there

Do you know a friendly watchmaker with a Big Bertha? That’d be the way to go if at all possible. They really are stupendously good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Normally glue a nut on rather than a bolt.

Once off I just put some super glue remover in the centre of the nut which acts as a well and leave it a while to slowly seep out over some hours.

Guess you'd be able to do that even if the back didn't come off.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, nad said:

Normally glue a nut on rather than a bolt.

Once off I just put some super glue remover in the centre of the nut which acts as a well and leave it a while to slowly seep out over some hours.

Guess you'd be able to do that even if the back didn't come off.

Yes indeed. I've used bolts, but a nut is easier to work with although I've only used Epoxy which definitely works. The caseback might get a little residue stain on it, but you can sand that off with superfine grit paper.

J

No stains when using superglue and no need to use abrasive paper. The remover softens the glue so easy to get off with your nails.

Also find it easier to leave the super glue set over night and use a small socket driver rather than spanner. This allows you to exert a little downward pressure when un screwing the nut which normally helps in my experience.

5 hours ago, fuse63 said:

Hi everyone,

I know there has been previous topics on this but I have a Armani watch a customer brought to me to replace the battery and a stem. I have tried everything and nothing will budge it now my question is on super gluing a bolt on the back of the watch.

Everything like what? Picture of the watch and which tools have you used?

• jdm locked this topic
  • Mark unlocked this topic

All off-topic posts removed - this is how it will be from now on. Please please please keep threads on topic out of respect for the OP. Please please please - no bickering, and that goes for everyone.

It makes our forum look bad - we are a group of great people, we can keep it that way.

If anyone spots this happening again from now on - please report the post - there is a link above every single post, I will be on it like flies on a turd. :D

now - back on topic, pretty please ;)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mark said:

All off-topic posts removed - this is how it will be from now on. Please please please keep threads on topic out of respect for the OP. Please please please - no bickering, and that goes for everyone.

It makes our forum look bad - we are a group of great people, we can keep it that way.

If anyone spots this happening again from now on - please report the post - there is a link above every single post, I will be on it like flies on a turd. :D

now - back on topic, pretty please ;)

GOOD DAY MARK. THANKS!

REGARDS,

J

I have a titanium case with a titanium back (dumb) that is probably galled together. Respectable brands use a stainless cover on a ti watch so they don't gall.

Anyway, my plan is liquid nitrogen. I will place the cover wrench on, fill the center with liquid nitrogen, wait a fe seconds and try again.

If that doesn't work, I may try JB weld although I'm not sure how it will hold up at super-low temps. Note on this watch I know the male thread is on the cover, so shrinking it back from the case with the nitrogen should work (in theory).

It's in "the pile" to get to at some point...