Hand Leavers

PeterS

I need to purchase my first hand leavers. There are number of sizes and from what I can see the 2.5mm would be the right size

Bergeon leavers are double the price of Horotec. Are they worth the money?
And the Bergeon 30018-1 by Petitpierre are almost triple the price of the standard Bergeon 30019

I used the Bergeon 5430 leaver for Hairsprings to remove hands and the Horotec 05.009 for removing subdial hands. I find the Horotec ones are also useful in removing the pesky C clip used on Seikos to hold the day wheel in place too

You could probably get away as rogart63 says buying the cheaper ones and tweaking them as long as they are made of good steel they will be fine, though looking at Cousins they are out of stock of the generic ones until June.

You will find in some cases you do need to buy the expensive tools as the cheaper ones just won't cut it, but as long as you are willing to do a bit of polishing and adjusting the cheaper hand removing leavers will do.

• Like 2

What are the modifications/tweaks?

I can’t see any difference between the leavers from looking at the pictures.
I don’t mind purchasing the Horotec or Bergeon, I’m wondering why one costs double and why the Bergeon Petitpierre costs three times the price of the expensive Bergeon (I can see that the angle is different on them)

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

What are the modifications/tweaks?

I can’t see any difference between the leavers from looking at the pictures.
I don’t mind purchasing the Horotec or Bergeon, I’m wondering why one costs double and why the Bergeon Petitpierre costs three times the price of the expensive Bergeon (I can see that the angle is different on them)

I removed some material to make it sharper at the end. It's a little uneven when you buy it. I used a sharpening stone and some wet and dry paper. Then polished it with some autosol. I put some shrink tube around the handle. DSC09694.thumb.JPG.8ef2322e90113674d7776556a5631332.JPGDSC09693.thumb.JPG.62c3c316584da206aaaf2bd93bdbdc6c.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you for your help gents.
I usually look for reviews online, YouTube etc. before I purchase something but when it comes to watch repair it is somewhat limited.
I have bought tools in the past wishing that I bought the more expensive ones later on but I couldn’t justify it at a later point because I already had something that did the job. On the other hand I bought expensive tools wishing I didn’t because I realised that the cheaper ones would do the job just as well.
I have a feeling that getting into watch repair will be no different.

Tools are like watches- it’s a lot to do with preference. 

I have the Bergeon ones (don’t remember the number) and they are weighty (in a good way) steel with deep knurling. 

As nice as they were, I did enhance the polish on them a bit. 

The steel is very hard because I managed to chip one using it, er, incorrectly.

i have since dressed that one and it’s a bit smaller. I prefer levers to the presto thingy as sometimes the less you disturb the better. Pull hands one at a time. I prefer that although  some donors have had all three hands popped off in one shot!

I bought the generic cousins ones and they needed some fettling. Then I made some which have much smaller heads and I tend to use those more often than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ordered Bergeon 2.5mm leavers.

I have previously bought a cheap spring bar tool which I had to file down before I used it, I didn’t want to do this with the leavers. Scratching the case where it is going to be covered by a strap is bad enough, I don’t want to take any chances with dials.

I’ve not even considered the Presto tool, I’d imagine that I’d be in better control with the leavers. Although I just looked at the Bergeon and it says it’s ‘non dial touch’ (30671.7). Surprisingly it’s the same price as the leavers. Anyway, the leavers are on the way now, I’m sure they will be just fine.

I dont like the Presto tool. I've got one and dont use it.

I've even got a boxed vintage one like the one above that was my Grandfathers, but still prefer the leavers.

Make sure you use them with something to protect the dial. You can use the expensive bergeon protectors, or just a plastic bag.

2 hours ago, jdrichard said:

f7409d29ac5e7c09b848ae84ac7a1556.jpg
You need to get one of these vintage hand removers. These are great.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

That's the presto one. Still available new. Place plastic over the hands, and pop them all off at once with that. Good for an OEM or production set up (In my opinion) where you are not planning to re-use the hands. I think these have a strong chance of scratching the hands.

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

I have ordered Bergeon 2.5mm leavers.

I have previously bought a cheap spring bar tool which I had to file down before I used it, I didn’t want to do this with the leavers. Scratching the case where it is going to be covered by a strap is bad enough, I don’t want to take any chances with dials.

I’ve not even considered the Presto tool, I’d imagine that I’d be in better control with the leavers. Although I just looked at the Bergeon and it says it’s ‘non dial touch’ (30671.7). Surprisingly it’s the same price as the leavers. Anyway, the leavers are on the way now, I’m sure they will be just fine.

Any new tool I get I always inspect it very closely, and almost always take it to the buffing wheel and polish it up. It does not eliminate the chance of scratching, but certainly reduces it. Screwdrivers I inspect but never polish. Maybe touch-up if the end doesn't look perfect.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

I dont like the Presto tool. I've got one and dont use it.

I've even got a boxed vintage one like the one above that was my Grandfathers, but still prefer the leavers.

Make sure you use them with something to protect the dial. You can use the expensive bergeon protectors, or just a plastic bag.

I've used business cards as dial protectors too... (clean, new ones!)

21 minutes ago, Tudor said:

Any new tool I get I always inspect it very closely, and almost always take it to the buffing wheel and polish it up. It does not eliminate the chance of scratching, but certainly reduces it. Screwdrivers I inspect but never polish. Maybe touch-up if the end doesn't look perfect.

I don’t trust myself and always double check everything I do (light OCD I’d call it). I have ordered most of my basic tools and I will scrutinise them all, regardless of whether they are from a good brand or not. The 12x magnifier will be put use immediately.

5 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I don’t trust myself and always double check everything I do (light OCD I’d call it). I have ordered most of my basic tools and I will scrutinise them all, regardless of whether they are from a good brand or not. The 12x magnifier will be put use immediately.

Good man.

My Grandfather said: "a tradesman is only as good as his tools" (He did refrigeration back when that was a big deal...)

3 hours ago, jdrichard said:

f7409d29ac5e7c09b848ae84ac7a1556.jpg
You need to get one of these vintage hand removers. These are great.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Have one of those. But ain't no good. Got it from an auction find so maybe it's a little worn. As with all other things. Quality comes with the price. A Bergeon or K&D would be nice to see how they work.