Longines cal. 280

Hello mates!!

Im working on a Logines cal. 280, and im going to change mainspring. But it seems that the tha barrel is sealed?  It sit not to be replaced?

Nobody know how to open mainspring barrel??

image.png.9b809baabf91cd4d2f8b248a272b1a70.png

43 minutes ago, arkobugg said:

Hello mates!!

Im working on a Logines cal. 280, and im going to change mainspring. But it seems that the tha barrel is sealed?  It sit not to be replaced?

Nobody know how to open mainspring barrel??

image.png.9b809baabf91cd4d2f8b248a272b1a70.png

I have a cal 284, I changed the mainspring and there was no writing on the barrel like yours.

It looks like it should just lever off as usual. Is that a slot where the scratches start from ?

20161203_154300.jpg

Edited by mikepilk

These m/springs are no to be replaced. You are supposed to replace it with a new unit. The trouble is these days many parts have become obsolete. So you need to open it. Turn it over and tap the arbor with a small mallet so it does not damage the arbor and see if the cap comes off.

• Like 1

Anyone remember when the first car batteries came out that said 'Sealed No maintenance' on a sticker on the top of them?

When they stopped working if you peeled the sticker off you found the caps that you could remove to check the electrolytes.

That barrel reminds me of those batteries.

A big sign saying sealed unit 'Keep out' , when it looks just like a regular barrel.

On 29/04/2018 at 7:20 PM, arkobugg said:

I have tried, and its not actually a slot. It seems like it, but its a piece of metal that are coming up in the hole.  That is not moving when I try to push it down from either side....

May be a T-end mainspring.