Finally, A Proper Working Environment

I started taking my watch apart in the kitchen, because that's where I'd started unpacking my package of tools . Then it got late and so I moved to my bedroom. In bed. How many of you take watches apart in bed? I don't recommend it. Then I moved to my desk, which was somewhat cluttered.

At this point I noticed that I had no hour wheel! It hadn't got knocked or jumped away—I'd never even seen it! I had no recollection of it at all, and it wasn't on any of my photos :( I considered the possibility that there had never been an hour wheel, but discarded that hypothesis pretty quickly.

How can one loose an hour wheel? They're enormous! (compared to the sub millimeter screws anyway). I didn't even know where to look :(

Anyway, it was at this point that I decided I really needed to tidy up my desk. And floor. The whole flat, in fact.

Eventually, I remembered that there had been a suspicious sound at the beginning when I'd turned the movement over. I'd looked down and saw the little golden dial washer (?). I remember being suspicious of its capability of making just that sort of impact noise... not suspicious enough though.

A quick search with a bright torch turned up the little bugger, hiding innocently enough under the desk. :) Life can go on again.

post-322-0-86301600-1417034367_thumb.jpg

Camera quality seems to be getting worse and worse. Now I need to disassemble my **BLEEP** phone too :(

• Like 1

I don't know, but I would fence away -- maybe with a removable piece of cardboard -- the osciloscope and keyboard. I you don't use the microscope when working on watches, I'll do that too to minimize hiding places.

In my experiece, every hole, crevise, crack, you name it, is a good hiding place for the minute parts. I just lost  the bottom half of a barrel just because the spring jumped from my fingers!!! I haven't found it for 3 days, can you believe that! Last time I lost a big part, I found it inside some clothes I had near by! How they travel so far and get in those places, go figure!

Just an opinion but as it is, it looks really nice and with enough room to be a confortable corner. I wouldn't ask for a better place myself. Good job.

By the way, how does the magnifying glass/lamp combination works for you? I was about to test something similar myself.

Edited by bobm12

Going to need some height though, unless the desk is already raised up? It took me about 2 minutes today using the 4x loupe that arrived this morning, to realise that bending over anything to keep it at the magic in-focus distance on my desk will cripple my neck muscles in short order. Luckily, the packaging box was a good height!

That said - I am just going to have to do something about a work station where there's not a 6-8 inch drop to the rest of my desk followed by a random bounce to the floor... At a minimum, I've going to use some cardboard to create a 6 inch "fence" around this box to hopefully narrow the possible trajectories of screws. No hope there if they decide to have a good go at reaching the moon though :)