Tissot 2030 quartz curiosities

I have a watch with this very lovely and interesting movement. No pics at the moment so had to use one off the net. It is functional but I want to service it and I don't know how to remove the stem and crown. So far I've started to strip it apart and I guess the stem will come out eventually but I wanted to know if there's a "normal" quick way to remove it without having to remove a lot of parts.

The setting lever thing can be raised (a bit difficult as one could damage other components) but the stem didn't come out. Then again it's difficult to raise it...

My 2nd curiosity is whether, throughout time, on quartz movements, gold or golden parts have been used, as I know it's a good conductor. Could the circled screw be made out of gold ? I unscrewed it and it's fully golden. First time seeing one like this.

14_JL1-_5.jpg

I'll answer my first question. Apparently the setting lever that can be raised has to be raised, indeed, for the stem to come out but it's too complicated to do it so you have to unscrew the screw at the other end or better yet remove it completely and then you can remove the small yoke or whatever you call it underneath and the stem will come out easily.

WRT to the golden screw I dont think its gold.

While Gold is a good conductor of electricity, I dont thing having a gold screw would help. It would be better to have the parts the screw is holding together to be gold-plate or gold.In this case they seem to have been left in bare copper.

Anilv

• Like 1

Would have been better to save my old Tissot if they where gold. I sold them on Tradera for next to nothing. If i only would have known those screws where gold i could have sell the screws ;) . I think they are brass . Probably plated but don't think that either. Gold is to soft to make screws from. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chopin said:

I have serviced the movement but it seems to stop every now and then. And very rarely the seconds hand might stutter a bit.

Likely just dirt in the train, assuming the battery contacts are ok. 

• Like 1

Nothing is damaged, no dust as far as I can tell. Is it possible that the seconds hand may have been misaligned vertically (or maybe the center pinion thing...) ? It feels as if it's something mechanic... not an electrical issue.

Gold colored screws & plates Are quite common on quartz watches. If you look at your gold screw it's on the circuit for grounding so it tells you that this is the grounding screw. Other times I think it's just to make the watch look pretty. If you look at Omega version of a ETA movement they'll usually have a gold cover over everything all the metals goldplated just to make it look nicer.

Then quartz watches you believe really really perfect with them. They have no power to push through bad lubrication for lubrication speck of dust is enough to stop them in the right place almost. Moebius Actually makes a specific Quartz Watch Oil 9000. It does really work well for quartz watches versus using other lubrication's.

Then for isolating problems it's nice to have proper test equipment. Like how much Current is this watch consuming and running a low-voltage check how lower voltage can you go before the watch stops.

• Like 1

The watch functions as it should but when I'm placing the top plate the motor doesn't run for long. I can restart it but it'll stop again.

For the bearings/slots of the 4 wheels that are turned by the motor I used some grease. Should I have used oil ? They don't have jewels...

Edited by Chopin

One thing to remember about quartz movements is that there is virtually no torque compared to mechanical movements. So, there's very little side-thrust on the bearings. The lack of torque also means that they are very easily stopped by dirt (or grease!).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rodabod said:

One thing to remember about quartz movements is that there is virtually no torque compared to mechanical movements. So, there's very little side-thrust on the bearings. The lack of torque also means that they are very easily stopped by dirt (or grease!).

Yeah that's true. Not very experienced with quartzes so I've learned a thing or two with this one.

• 1 year later...

I would like to service my fathers tissot 2030 movement do you still have copy of manual as it would be most helpful

I have another 2030 movement which is working but only want to change necessary parts to keep fathers watch as near original as possible 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I would like to service my fathers tissot 2030 movement do you still have copy of manual as it would be most helpful

I have another 2030 movement which is working but only want to change necessary parts to keep fathers watch as near original as possible 

Usually best if you start your own discussion. You can reference this discussion in your discussion but usually best that each watch be discussed individually. This is because usually watches may have a similar problems but a lot of times they have different situations.

Then for the manual if you read the entire discussion somewhere up above I posted a PDF attachment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Is this the first quartz module or even the absolute first that you would work on?

If so I heartily recommend that you practice first one something of small value and importance.