Hello and advice?

Hello!

wanted to ask a bit of advice that I’m sure you get a lot. I’m very close to signing up and buying the BHI’s DLC. I’ve been doing a lot of poking about online and seem to be seeing a lot of mixed responses about it. I’m not particularly looking for a career change (I’m an illustrator by the way) but am looking for a way to learn as much as I realistically can, theoretical and practical, without requiring full time study. My main concerns with the course is the seemingly vast amount of frequently very expensive equipment needed. I did anticipate that to a degree but there is also the matter of space and storage to consider.

So, to make a long story longer, does anyone have any fairly up to date experience of the course? Are the tutors good? What do you actually physically get for your significant outlay? And really, is it actually any good?

i appreciate all this is a bit vague and I’m asking a lot, but for me it’s significant decision requiring significant money and commitment,so I’m trying to get as much info ahead of time as possible.

anyway,sorry for rambling a bit and if anyone can help, then many thanks!  

Hi Willspring, I feel sure that the courses you mention will be very thorough with excellent tutors. I have never done any course on watch repair (ex electronic engineer retired) however I did receive several years part time in depth theoretical and practical training from a master watchmaker dear friend many years ago. He was Geneva trained and alas, has now departed. I am what one would call a Jobber or watch fixer academically unqualified.  You will need a few decent quality tools the basics are  screwdrivers, three pairs of tweezers, one pair brass and a plastic non conductive pair to replace  watch batteries, 2 eyeglasses one 4X and one 10X,  Case opening tools, de Carles Practical Watch Repairing book is a good choice and a Timegrapher. I have the 1900. Then a lot of practice. Before you buy anything check the course requirements. Mark Lovick is very skilled and does repair courses as well on U Tube. Check him out. This is just an unqualified opinion so I hope I have not led you astray. There is a world of difference between a Jobber Fixer like me and a watchmaker and there are many very skilled people on this forum. Best regards and good wishes, Mike.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Do appreciate it. Very interesting read as well. I think with the BHI training it all sounds great until it’s starts causally mentioning lathes and what have you. I would of course love to learn to machine parts etc but it’s concerns of space and cost really on that one. I kind of have a feeling that you go merrily into a course like this and then find you need a huge slush fund and a separate workshop.

the tools list you mention is invaluable I think and will make a careful note of all you mention. As I will the chap on you tube.

the ideal really is to have a local chap to observe and absorb from but they’re few and far between around here it seems (Sussex coast) 

Anyway...you certainly haven’t put me off, and again, really appreciate the trouble in replying.

cheers mike.

will.

Willspring. Good luck with the study Mike. I have some home made tools as well but no lathe etc, I do repair  jobs to most watches  and I try to obtain like  spares and sometimes have to modify them  with a minimum of tooling.  I can do a lot with a small pillar drill, a very small chuck and  a steady and many selected fine files etc and seem to get mainly higher end vintage watches and modern quartz,  of course. There is not much help out there except this fine forum who have helped me a great deal recently re a Rolex calibre. All my thanks to all concerned.  I know that I am not too well liked by some people in the trade locally because they feel that I am taking their work away. In general  some  quote  such high repair fees that a lot of people just throw the watch in the drawer for the next thirty years. You will no doubt want to go further than me so I feel sure that you will benefit from a good watchmakers course. I hope that I have not bored you too much but this is a view of what I do nowadays to keep busy so to speak. I feel sure that a younger person would be more professional after training. All good wishes, Ciao, Mike.