watch stops with residual power

Hello. I am a hobbyist watch fan. I have recently serviced my Molnija pocket watch with caliber 3602(hand-wound movement).

Watch was back in wonderful state (shown in photos) and ran roughly 40 hours during first day of test.

After couple of days, I noticed that the watch stops after running about 30 hours although it was wound fully.

I opened it up to check what went wrong and surprised to see that mainspring had substantial amount of power remaining.

I guess the mainspring had about 10 hours of power left. What do you think had stopped the watch? Please help. 

20180411_065206 (1).jpg

20180411_064802 (1).jpg

20180411_070927.jpg

2 hours ago, east3rn said:

Hello. I am a hobbyist watch fan. I have recently serviced my Molnija pocket watch with caliber 3602(hand-wound movement).

Watch was back in wonderful state (shown in photos) and ran roughly 40 hours during first day of test.

After couple of days, I noticed that the watch stops after running about 30 hours although it was wound fully.

I opened it up to check what went wrong and surprised to see that mainspring had substantial amount of powimageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5bimageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5ber remaining.

I guess the mainspring had about 10 hours of power left. What do you think had stopped the watch? Please help. 

20180411_065206 (1).jpg

20180411_064802 (1).jpg

20180411_070927.jpg

13 minutes ago, Chopin said:

Does it stop and no longer starts at all ? If you wiggle it around lightly does it start working again ?

I tried shaking it but it won't run... any solutions? I think mainspring is the problem. I am considering lubricating it again. 

• 1 year later...

In agreement with the above, I had this exact same thing happen on a movement after rebuilding the balance and cock, put it in beat and regulated it, (so I thought), then found after re casing it that it wouldn't run well once the spring had wound down a little and manually checked the impulse pin, it was way out despite the timegrapher initially looking OK.