Pallet stone replacement

I spent two hours yesterday evening trying to replace the pallet stones in a Illinois Bunn Special 18s 21jewel Pocket watch to complete the tear down & cleaning and mainspring replacement .

I went to bed because I just couldent get the stones shellacked in. This morning on my first try, Success 

I always find that taking a break from a job that isn't going well seems to do the trick . whether its watch repair or any other tricky job.

Tim

20180420_095037 (Medium).jpg

• Like 3

It's one of those jobs that takes a whole lot of patience & practice. Patience is a learned virtue that is worth it's weight in gold.

Making videos isn't something I do. I do however take lot's of photos for later viewing.  

20180223_184040 (Small).jpg

I find your picture quite interesting I didn't know a tool that I normally think of for roller jewels could be used for pallet stones. So normally when I'm doing roller jewels I like to have a tool that lets me hold the pallet stones flats with the fork. They make a variety of commercial tools I have a picture of one style. Or just a simple brass plate with holes in it can be used. Then a picture of the way I normally think of the tool you're using.

ps-1.JPG

rj-1.JPG

ps-3.JPG

ps-2.JPG

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I find your picture quite interesting I didn't know a tool that I normally think of for roller jewels could be used for pallet stones. So normally when I'm doing roller jewels I like to have a tool that lets me hold the pallet stones flats with the fork. They make a variety of commercial tools I have a picture of one style. Or just a simple brass plate with holes in it can be used. Then a picture of the way I normally think of the tool you're using.

ps-1.JPG

rj-1.JPG

ps-3.JPG

ps-2.JPG

Thanks John - every day is a school day! I bought a tool like the former one for replacing pallet stones and found I couldn’t hold the staff in it, so made one like your other examples. Now I know what the first tool is for. Never had to replace a roller jewel, but all set now when I need too!

At least for inserting pallet stones are easier than roller jewel.  I have a link below the talks about the pallet stones. Basically clean the fork clean jewels make sure you get the right one Where it is supposed to be there different and make sure they're facing the direction they're supposed to be. Then apply heat touch the shellac it forms a nice shiny surface like the image below. Unfortunately they're probably not were there supposed to be. Which is why we use shellac it can be heated up and they can be moved around a lot. Then if you have lots of money picture of a nice tool that makes setting the stones absolute perfect.

http://raulhorology.com/2012/08/eta-6498-escapement-fitting-the-pallet-staff-and-jewels-setting-depth-of-lock-and-run-to-banking/

expensive tool.JPG

pallet fork shellac.JPG

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

ps-1.JPG

rj-1.JPG

ps-3.JPG

ps-2.JPG

I use either one. This was better for taking a picture.