Pin Pallet Beat

Pip

Hi chaps,

I've cleaned up a Smiths Empire pin pallet that is now gleaming wonderfully. It was half working before I dismantled it, now it is only 1/10th working... and the issue is that on removing the balance I damaged the hairspring, I've repaired the damage but can't seem to get it to do more than about a minute of running, and you can noticeably watch the amplitude drop. Now I'm not too scabby at cleaning and rebuilding, but I am much more used to working with 'normal' swiss lever escapements as I am usually working on my Seiko's. But I do like to try different things out of interest too.

So, has anyone got a simple(ish) guide to pinning and beating a HS/balance on a PP movement? Apologies I've just realised I don't have any photos the balance in the watch, will take some tomorrow as I'm at work now and out tonight. I've added a photo of the balance after I took it out prior to cleaning and reshaping the HS; is the arrow pointing to where it should be pinned? Also, my work last night seemed to be that when I pushed the pin (correct term?) to hold the HS in place it pushed a lot more HS through the gate (term?) each time. Is this normal?

41520531272_899d05de6e_b_d.jpg

Thanks.

The pivots on these pocket watches need to have a sharp point. I used to re-point them in my lathe using an arkansas stone with a drop of oil. You need to make sure the cups are good as they wear on the inside and can be very rough. You should be able to get an estimate where to pin by refitting the balance and threading the hairspring so the impulse pin is in the centre of the pallet fork.

• Like 5

Hi chaps,
I've cleaned up a Smiths Empire pin pallet that is now gleaming wonderfully. It was half working before I dismantled it, now it is only 1/10th working... and the issue is that on removing the balance I damaged the hairspring, I've repaired the damage but can't seem to get it to do more than about a minute of running, and you can noticeably watch the amplitude drop. Now I'm not too scabby at cleaning and rebuilding, but I am much more used to working with 'normal' swiss lever escapements as I am usually working on my Seiko's. But I do like to try different things out of interest too.
So, has anyone got a simple(ish) guide to pinning and beating a HS/balance on a PP movement? Apologies I've just realised I don't have any photos the balance in the watch, will take some tomorrow as I'm at work now and out tonight. I've added a photo of the balance after I took it out prior to cleaning and reshaping the HS; is the arrow pointing to where it should be pinned? Also, my work last night seemed to be that when I pushed the pin (correct term?) to hold the HS in place it pushed a lot more HS through the gate (term?) each time. Is this normal?
41520531272_899d05de6e_b_d.jpg&key=10c34cae46c6e468f821bc6287aa783e8e5f566017933a9c65729157a3785f0b
Thanks.

Hi pip. Your hair spring is really not correct, but that would (should) not stop a pin pallet movement, rather just make it awful at keeping good time. I’ll post an exemplary hair spring profile next - something I so desperately reach out for [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hi pip. Your hair spring is really not correct, but that would (should) not stop a pin pallet movement, rather just make it awful at keeping good time. I’ll post an exemplary hair spring profile next - something I so desperately reach out for [emoji3]

41966c9c70ca427d41fac5b12d4a3d3b.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deggsie said:

With some very careful manipulation, time, patience and will - you will achieve a functional hairspring pip

Remember, I said the picture was from before the HS was worked on... it's much improved from that picture I'm pleased to say! Will try and post a pic tonight.

Oh, and that HS pic you posted - A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Like 1

Remember, I said the picture was from before the HS was worked on... it's much improved from that picture I'm pleased to say! Will try and post a pic tonight.
Oh, and that HS pic you posted - A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Ok. Sorry pip, I just re read and you did clearly say it’s before you worked on it. My bad! [emoji6]

You have done very well. Time will tell when you put it into the movement and pin it. Make sure it is free moving between the
regulator from one end to the other.

I had help from a very experienced watchmaker I’m glad to say, but trying to work out as much as possible without bothering him!