Seiko 6106-8489 - broken autowind lever

Gryf

Hi, all.

While I've been following Mark's videos for a long time, I've started servicing some of my watch collection only recently. A couple of days back I tied into a Seiko that I bought new in 1973, calibre number 6106-8489. The servicing went rather well, except for one newbie mistake - see below. I managed to find why the watch was non-functional; one leg of the auto-wind lever was broken off. See pictures below. I'm posting in hopes that one of you with more experience can steer me toward a source for this part.

Also, being a novice - and not yet owning a mainspring winder - I managed to break the spring trying to feed it back into the barrel. Do I need to look for an actual Seiko spring, or should I measure the broken one and order a generic one accordingly?

Thanks! I really appreciate any assistance.

Gryf

autowind.jpg.3f3e6b64e535890a02e92c50d9565ef4.jpg

autowind_levers.jpg

Mainsprings exist in many dimensions (and not just that) so normally you should find one for this type of movement. Others might fit but I guess that requires further experience and, perhaps, plenty of spares to try out.

I'd say the broken part might be similar to that of other movements but not sure and you'd have to find some parts interchangeability list.

If the mainspring is good this should help you complete your repair. Provided that you want to spend the money. Can also check out his website where he might have more parts...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-6106-8060-watch-for-parts-restore-Serial-nr-811043/132359796113?hash=item1ed1423591:g:pSoAAOSwW9RaaYvF

First, which version  of the movement do  you have? It was available as an  A,  B with 17  jewels,  B with 25 jewels,  and a C  version.

Here's a link to Jules Borel's parts list for  the  B version 

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK_6106B-17JL,

Here's  what they show for a replacement spring - 

MAINSPRING, 1.05 X .115 X 420     GR 2534-X 

of which the first part is the dimension of the spring,  and the second is the General Ressorts part number. 

If  you click on the entry, it shows a part number of 0401615 (Seiko  Number), which Borel has in stock for $28.00

The pawl lever with jewel is 0831611 (Seiko Number), and Borel doesn't seem to  have it. 

I've also attached the  Seiko 6106A tech sheet so you can  find part numbers.

6106A.pdf

Here's the update sheet  for the various  "C" versions.  It  shows the parts that are  different  from  the "A". It looks like the pawl  with  jewel didn't  change. This part  is common to a  lot of  movements, so you  should be able to find  a scrap movement to scavenge  without much  problem.

6106C.pdf

Thanks, Dadistic! I found that same data sheet myself yesterday, so we're on the right track. I also found some suitable parts watches on eBay, but I won't be able to get back to it until next week.

Cheers,

Gryf

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Following up - we're all set with a new autowind module, thanks to an eBay vendor parting out a 6106C. Now for a new mainspring... I was out of town for several days and project Seiko lost momentum. I hope to get it wrapped up shortly, and wear my college watch again! ;-)

thanks again,

Gryf

• Like 2