Save my diver

Forg

9 hours ago, jdm said:

I've never seen these symptoms in my limited experience, I think that could point to an issue with the mainspring or trains mentioned before already. Remove balance and pallet fork. Give it just a bit a winding, it should spin free, and when out of power the wheels should move backward very briefly. If it does, there is probably no point in taking the train apart.

Forgot to add an important step. Before removing the pallet fork, need to "let down"  (unwind in a controlled manner) the mainspring. Search this forum or watch some of Mark's videos to learn what that means and how it's done.

anilv> Very clear, thanks for that writeup.

Precisions: the watch doesn't work for a few seconds when I wind it, it works (well, worked) while I'm winding it and stops immediately if I let go the crown (not a few seconds later). About the water, I don't think a flow of water entered the watch, that was probably just moisture condensing, indicating failing gaskets: I didn't clean anything.

manodeoro> Bonjour !

I do want to get some experience in horology. But only "some" experience, I'm not ready for a full service. Cost-wise, I didn't spend $50 in tools (I thank China) and some of them would be needed to swap the current movement with a new one anyway.
I'm not in a hurry, I'm enjoying other watches for the moment. The fact I don't want to service the movement has to do with skills (and lack of oil) rather than time: I want to make baby steps.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Forgot to add an important step. Before removing the pallet fork, need to "let down"  (unwind in a controlled manner) the mainspring. Search this forum or watch some of Mark's videos to learn what that means and how it's done.

There's no power left in the main spring since the barrel is sitting on my desk. So, rather than opening it to see the spring, I should replace everything on the movement and remove the balance and palet fork and see if it winds and unwinds? Can I do that without putting the main bridge back?

5 hours ago, Martini said:

I should replace everything on the movement and remove the balance and palet fork and see if it winds and unwinds? Can I do that without putting the main bridge back?

No, you can't.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Nouvice should exercise patience,  Anvil's suggestion is experejce based.Should have posted , follow as advised, may not be too late now either.

Thanks to masterwatch repairer on this forum who enjoy teaching their hard earned expertise, to the art ..You not only fix your watch but learn and gain confidence in watch repair.

I too be on standby to bug you with my wierd techniques. :stuff:

Regards joe

You said the watch "Ticks" while manually winding it? is that correct? as you know you can only wind a watch until full tension is reached on the mainspring. If you can wind this watch  endlessly I agree that the mainspring is broken. as for wearing a watch in the shower...... hot water causes rapid expansion of metal parts which old gaskets cannot compensate for.