Some parts are left with white stains after parts cleaning

Some parts are left with white stains after parts cleaning 
I tried to remove it with a washing solution or alcohol, but it can not be removed. How can I get rid of such stains?
And is there a way to prevent staining when cleaning?

Thanks in advanced

20180415_183532.jpg

Hi oldhippy,

I clean movement and parts by hand with solvent (or n-Hexane).
I clean parts with a watch overhaul brush at first time.
Then move to new solvent bowl and brush the parts with a soft paint brush.
And I use blower to dry the parts.

Thanks.

37 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Hi oldhippy,

I clean movement and parts by hand with solvent (or n-Hexane).
I clean parts with a watch overhaul brush at first time.
Then move to new solvent bowl and brush the parts with a soft paint brush.
And I use blower to dry the parts.

Thanks.

Sounds like the solvent is drying and leaving a residue on the parts, whether that is from the solvent you are using or residue of the old oil and dirt I don't know.

I use a cheap Chinese Ultrasonic cleaner.

Wash with a good non water based watch cleaning solution, then rinse with a solution of 80% Shellite (Naphan or Zippo lighter fluid I think it is called in the USA) and 20% turps, then a final rinse of 100% Shellite.

I find if you dont rinse twice you dont get it completely clean

If using lighter fuel, make sure you use a good quality brand as the cheaper ones have not been refined/processed to a high level of purity and so tend to leave residues.  An easy test is to place a small drop on a piece of clean metal or glass (a mirror is ideal) and set it alight (but be careful!!!). The higher quality products will leave less residue, if any.

Edited by canthus

7 hours ago, canthus said:

If using lighter fuel, make sure you use a good quality brand as the cheaper ones have not been refined/processed to a high level of purity and so tend to leave residues.  An easy test is to place a small drop on a piece of clean metal or glass (a mirror is ideal) and set it alight (but be careful!!!). The higher quality products will leave less residue, if any.

Hi canthus,

Thanks for your advice!!

Have a good day

I prepare 80/20% stoddards/naptha for primary clean. Then into 1st stage rinse of 100% naptha, then 2nd stage rinse of the same but new naptha. I find to get the best results with minimal residue, please finally decant the parts onto watchmakers tissue. This draws the excess fluid away from the parts and no staining is left

I also don’t use warm air, as parts tend to fly :-)

Regards Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always used Ronsonol lighter fluid for cleaning the balance of watches. Its far better than any of those hairspring de-greasers. It also evaporates quickly and never leaves marks; it also helps to use a blower with it. The same goes for any watch part.

9 hours ago, Deggsie said:

I prepare 80/20% stoddards/naptha for primary clean. Then into 1st stage rinse of 100% naptha, then 2nd stage rinse of the same but new naptha. I find to get the best results with minimal residue, please finally decant the parts onto watchmakers tissue. This draws the excess fluid away from the parts and no staining is left

I also don’t use warm air, as parts tend to fly :-)

Regards Deggsie

Hi Deggsie,

IT's great to know your skill and experience!! and I won't use hairdryer not to fly parts :-)

I also use lighter fluid (in small plastic pots)  in a small ultrasonic , then repeat with Isopropanol to remove any residues

(Note that IPA does dissolve shellac as used on pallet jewels and roller jewel, but I did a 3 min test in the ultrasonic without any problems)

I also use lighter fluid (in small plastic pots)  in a small ultrasonic , then repeat with Isopropanol to remove any residues
(Note that IPA does dissolve shellac as used on pallet jewels and roller jewel, but I did a 3 min test in the ultrasonic without any problems)
Thanks for your reply and it's good to know using ultrasonic tip

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Thanks for your reply and it's good to know using ultrasonic tip

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

For interest, I took an old 1950 pallet fork with broken pivot and tested in IPA. Was still intact after 1 week soak. Methylated spirits is a different story and softened the shellac

• Like 1