dreja

Eta 2824 issues

Question

Hello all,

I have some issues with Eta 2824.

As the amplitude was low, I have stripped the movement and oiled it according to Mark's video on youtube. I used only Anchor universal oil on all necessary parts.

I manually wound the movement before assembling the date and oscilaltong weight parts. Everything was perfect (straight line, amplitude more than 300).

A week later I started the same movment again and the amplitude was a litle bit lower (about 270). I continued with other assembly (date parts, dial, hands). After assembly the day rate and amplitude started to oscillate (from -2 to +10 s/day and amp. from 190 to 230), while the beat error remained ok (0.1).

I disassembled the dial, hands and day wheel again, but the amplitude is still low.

I tried also installing another balance (working perfecty in another 2824 watch) but no luck. Also demagnetising does not help.

Is it possible that I ruined something while powering down the mainspring too fast?

Is there anything else to check ?

Please help...

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, dreja said:

Anchor universal oil

So one oil for everything is that what Mark recommended?

Then anchor oil has some interesting properties. First Zero specifications as to what it is. Then at least in the past a lot of unhappy customers because it goes from lubricating to glue very very fast. But maybe they have fixed that by now?

JohnR275, thanks for the answer.

Sorry, I didn't explain properly. Mark didn't recommend Anchor oil in the video - he recommended other oils, and also different oils for different parts.

But I used the Anchor oil and I used it to oil all the parts.

Do you think that the main cause for my issues is the wrong oil ?

Thanks

Andrej

So exactly what you're describing is what other people have described lubrication goes bad superfast. Easy way to find out is take the watch apart and clean it again and find another oil.

So as a beginner the cost of watch oil is astronomically expensive. Do a search on this message board and you'll find a lot of unhappy people over the cost of watch oil.  On the other hand a little tiny bottle will last you for years. Then there really is not a universal watch oil good for everything. But knowing that it's not ideal but it will work you could go for a bottle of Moebius Synta-Visco-Lube (9020) Watch Oil. It's synthetic it has a very long life it's a little heavy for some of the balance and escapement but it will work.

Agree with John but considering the 2824 isn't, after all, a cheap mov.t I would recommend to use exactly what ETA recommends. I suppose that's 9010 on all jewels but pallet stones, where 941 should be used. And don't oil pallet fork pivots.
That will maximize amplitude & durability, for a total of GBP 30 before VAT it won't break the bank.