Hello from Montreal

Hello folks,

I'm from Montreal, Canada and I've been a watchaholic for few years now and recently started touching movements. Started with old watch with ETA movements, took em appart learned watch each piece does what, and put them back together, repairing what needed to be repaired. 

I recently acquired a vintage Fludo chronograph with a Landeron 51 Movement. Great looking watch, although the movement runs, when I tilt the watch it stops. I guess there's a problem with the balance wheel. Still hesitating to bring it to a watch smith or anything. Thought about swapping the movement with a Venus 175 but I'm not sure it'll fit quite nicely.

Here it is!

Cheers

Hi, 
I have just sorted a vintage Zenith chronograph with a similar problem. I gave the watch a clean and serviced it and whilst the balance was out I checked the hair spring. A deft re-alignment was all that was necessary as in the face up position the coil was touching the cock opposite the index pins (curb pins if you prefer). I wonder if this is your trouble. This cured my problem anyway. I hope this is of help. Check the escapement wheel for reliable rotation in steps as you move the lever across the banking pins. The lever should flick from one pin to the other under the influence of the escape wheel drive. Good wishes and best regards, Mike. PS. There are some highly skilled people on this forum who will help. I am not one of them !.

• Like 1

Hi, 
I have just sorted a vintage Zenith chronograph with a similar problem. I gave the watch a clean and serviced it and whilst the balance was out I checked the hair spring. A deft re-alignment was all that was necessary as in the face up position the coil was touching the cock opposite the index pins (curb pins if you prefer). I wonder if this is your trouble. This cured my problem anyway. I hope this is of help. Check the escapement wheel for reliable rotation in steps as you move the lever across the banking pins. The lever should flick from one pin to the other under the influence of the escape wheel drive and the draw.  Good wishes and best regards, Mike. PS. There are some highly skilled people on this forum who will help. I am not one of them !.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

And many thanks Ecodec, I'll have a look at it during the week, I believe you're right about the hairspring as the rest is pretty good!

On 4/14/2018 at 8:00 PM, ecodec said:

Hi, 
I have just sorted a vintage Zenith chronograph with a similar problem. I gave the watch a clean and serviced it and whilst the balance was out I checked the hair spring. A deft re-alignment was all that was necessary as in the face up position the coil was touching the cock opposite the index pins (curb pins if you prefer). I wonder if this is your trouble. This cured my problem anyway. I hope this is of help. Check the escapement wheel for reliable rotation in steps as you move the lever across the banking pins. The lever should flick from one pin to the other under the influence of the escape wheel drive and the draw.  Good wishes and best regards, Mike. PS. There are some highly skilled people on this forum who will help. I am not one of them !.