Poljot 3133 problem

Hello again.

I was checking the performance of my Strela chronograph (Poljot 3133) and found an interesting anomaly. By looking at the timing graph, I would say that aside from the watch needing some adjustment, one of the two swings seem to be inconsistent. Am I right in stating that?

I was pretty confident that I will find some obvious problem with the impulse pin, pallet jewel, or escapement. But taking these parts out of the movement and reviewing them under the microscope did not reveal any obvious problem. Nothing seems loose, damaged or bent. I then cleaned the parts and put them back in the movement and as expected got the same anomaly on the graph.

I am very much in the mood to disassemble, clean and oil the whole mechanism but before I go there, I thought it may be a good idea to check with the forum on what is likely causing this behavior. I am attaching some photographs of the parts but they were made with my phone pointed through the eyepiece of the microscope and may not contain enough details.

Guess I should also say that this is the first time I will be fully disassembling a chronograph.

Cheers!

1.TimeMachine.png

2.BalanceWheel.png

3.ImpulsePin.png

4.Escapement.png

5.Escapement2.png

• 1 month later...

After disassembling and cleaning all the parts I got the watch working and showing similar problems. Then I payed more attention to the balance. I have seen similar problems with the 7s26 Seiko movements in the past. Basically, I learned that every time the hairspring is mounted to the stud with the adhesive, there is a good chance this adhesive finds its way out to the hairspring and causes the spring coils to catch (this is offten irregular, i.e. it doesn’t affect every swing). In the past, I noticed this happens when I clean the balance with too strong cleaner. In this case however I did not suspect this is the problem because this movement was not cleaned since I bought it new. Anyway, after I noticed the coils stick together when I press them against each other, I cleaned it with One Dip and then took a very small piece of lintless paper and walked it through the coils carefully several times. This finally made the balance clean and not catching. Timing machine showed much nicer characteristic.

TimingMachineAfterCleaning.jpg

• Like 1