How am I supposed to get this out

p2n

59 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

a pin vice is the answer.

Agreed - but if one doesn't own a pin vice? I'm still building up a tool set and it's got a fair few things missing.

I'd start by putting a drop of my lightest oil on the thread and a drop on the stud then leave for a few hours over night is best. This tip comes in hand for anything that is seized up. Be careful that hair spring looks o k . I would place the whole thing on the bench cock down and prize the wheel and staff out of the collet start with a couple of razor blades then two fine screwdrivers. Or two thin knife blades put the wheel and staff in a safe place if the hairspring is tapper pinned in the stud the balance and H/spring can be separated from the cock here and not at the collet/staff . The stud grip screw look big enough for a couple of flats to be filed on it for extra grip. 

Get yourself a set of eclipse pin vices they are by far the best. Last a lifetime. It is a tool that you will always need, there very good for holding watch stems.

I agree. It’s horses for courses and you need a pin vice. Otherwise high chance of creating damage. That will cause a whole lot of hurt to repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the pin vice idea; however, the escape wheel looks to be quite close to the screw... Perhaps pull the bridge and allow the escape wheel to drop out of your way before you go at it with the hammers and torches. Doing it as-shown, with the bridge in place might cause other problems for you.

Just my two cents.

6 minutes ago, Tudor said:

I like the pin vice idea; however, the escape wheel looks to be quite close to the screw... Perhaps pull the bridge and allow the escape wheel to drop out of your way before you go at it with the hammers and torches. Doing it as-shown, with the bridge in place might cause other problems for you.

Just my two cents.

If you mean the balance wheel I agree. 

Yes, balance, not the escape wheel.

Yes! Well spotted. The clearance is quite tight. Perhaps raise the cock to give better access. I would still try pin vice or x-acto tool first. The x-acto tightens like a mini Jacobs chuck, (threaded) and will give a good grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk