I Was A Naughty Boy!

I went through an amber light a couple of months ago in Nottingham, got flashed!

Have to go to a "Driving Safety Course" today for three hours, cost me £90.

Oh well, Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

Full time watch maker - part time Crim!

I can assure you, Mark (naughty boy) that they do provide tea and biscuits - and you'll get some nice lectures on safe driving. I see they've put the price up from £85 to £90...

Enjoy!

Will

(£85 for driving at 85mph on a dual carriageway...)

My (leaden footed) lady advises there was definitely tea given on her course but no biscuits. Take a kitkat. She also advised me that the course was wonderful and informative and has changed her driving habits for life - well she didn't really say that but something not along those lines. [emoji6]

Will, I seem to remember you posting a pic of your old volvo, surely you could have contested the speed they had you at...85mph!!.... :D

I did mine...46mph in a 40mph and definately no tea and biscuits unless you bought them from the hotel.

Unfortunately my "old (2.3 litre) Volvo" has a top speed of 120mph... To make matters worse I was driving my wife's 2 litre Audi A4 - with a top speed of 140mph! :devil:

Ah what it must be like to have the wind in your hair- oh well, I can always bare my chest I suppose

[emoji69]

You and me alike Vic!

How I've managed to get away with a clean licence for nearly fifty years is beyond me, especially having motobikes as a hobby.

You and me alike Vic!

How I've managed to get away with a clean licence for nearly fifty years is beyond me, especially having motobikes as a hobby.

Don't know what it's like up north but there's a camera, it seems, every 100 yards down here. I think they have taken over traffic cones in the procreation game!

Oh I've got a clean licence - I just had to pay £85 to keep it that way. :D

The fiddler in our band did one of these courses - then got done again a few months later, and another course wasn't an option!

Edited by WillFly

I was doing ok until they decided to park a camera van on an open road on my way home from work. Unfortunately I usually came home on autopilot and got done twice. My titchy 2L turbo diesel Ibiza goes far too fast it was definitely not my fault cos I was near comatose after work. No courses for me as I was way over. Just checked and all points expired now so I can probably start again[emoji222]

Don't know what it's like up north but there's a camera, it seems, every 100 yards down here. I think they have taken over traffic cones in the procreation game!

It depends where you are, some areas are as you describe but further up North they are few and far between. It's the unmarked cars that are the biggest worry.

We have cameras here but being Miami, they are all out of whack. And there is always the Internet traffic class you can do from any computer! I got nailed a couple of times but they had just remodeled this new and secluded express way with only a 60 MPH limit and it was 3AM for crying out loud. In my book, freeway means just that, free especially after midnight! It was a shame to have all that empty road to waste so I had to do 180 MPH in the vette! I believe they stopped me because it was red. mmm, next car I'll buy it blue or something.

Edited by bobm12

At least you have the oportunity to keep points off your license though. Is that the way it works? 3 hour lesson and no points?

Down in London, my brother went 4 inches over the cycle box line while on his Vespa and ended up with 3 points and a fine. Local police to us couldnt believe it.

Living in North Wales I have been done twice and been on two courses,  once for doing 34 in a 30 zone and again for 37 in a 30 zone, it's just a money making exercise.  Having driven for over 50 years without having killed or injured anyone I feel I cannot be that bad a driver.  I used to drive to the conditions,  that was before moving to North Wales,  I now spend more time looking at the speedo than out the windscreen.  There is no opportunity on the course to express an opinion,  such as "You are all bunch of lowlife money grasping w%$*^&s"  because if you do they will expel you from the course, without refunding the £90 fee,  you will then get a speeding fine and points on your licence.  Do not think for a minute that the police are your friends,  the police work for the state and do as they are told.

• Like 1

Over here, right on my way to work and back home, there are camera zones where a nicely marked van will sit monitoring traffic. Sometimes an unmarked car. I swear they make an absolute fortune off it. It's impossible to go at the speed limit on that road without gaining a long train of frustrated drivers who will either stick practically to your rear bumper or pass by over the single white line.

Fish in a barrel!

But we have a democracy! Surely that means that most people like having speed cameras every few hundred metres and thousands of unmarked cars wasting petrol (diesel) at all times of the day? And nowhere to park for free, and draconian penalties for everything? No?

If I ever do have an accident, I'll try the "but I was staring at my speedometer all the time, so of course I couldn't see him!" defense.

That reminds me of a joke where the student driver is questioned by a sadistic examiner and goes: if a car on your left pull in front of you what do you do? and the student, well, I use my brakes and if possible change lanes to the right. Then, if a car on your right....same question. Student: same answer to the left. I one in the front suddenly stops...I stop...so finally the instructor who really wanted to flunk the student asks: What if a fat lady fall from the 5th floor of that building right in front of you? Student: I stop the car. Instructor: Wrong, you should be looking at the road!!

I believe cops will have a similar reasoning! Sorry colin, you'll get the ticket too! Remember, we all must support our dedicated law enforcement! :money:

Edited by bobm12

This nicking motorists is now spreading throughout Europe. On my drive down to Italy this year I noticed a lot more, "Velocita control zones". These zones have increased notably in Germany,Luxembourg, Italy & Switzerland

with on the spot fines. I was told the police in Switzerland have credit card readers to whip your money away very efficiently. I now follow the rule of thumb & follow what the locals do. Was flashed in Italy last year but did not hear anything.

It is just another form of tax.

Edited by clockboy