French Clock Chime

Hi all,

I have an old French Clock in a slate case that I stripped and cleaned a few years back.  I didn’t run it for more than about a year before giving in to my dear daughter’s complaints about the chime keeping her awake at night.

I’d like to run it again and I can think of a number of options to keep it quiet, but would appreciate opinions...

1. Bend the hammer arm so it misses the gong (but will obviously still make a noise)

2. Leave the striking train unwound (not sure if it will run freely like this)

3. Remove a part of the strike mechanism to stop it (don’t really want to take it apart if I don’t have to, and don’t want to risk leaving out something which will likely get lost over time)

I don’t think I have any pictures of the strike mechanism, but from memory it looks rather like the one on the front of this book

https://goo.gl/images/cpvk5E

Thanks for your thoughts...

If it just has one hammer its a strike. Bend the hammer away from the gong and bind it with cloth or something that will dull the strike. Some people use a very thick plaster. Not winding it could result in the chiming train fouling and could cause the clock to jam up and stop. Whatever you do don’t remove parts they can easily be lost.

• Thanks 1

That's a real shame. No sound more pleasant that a mechanical movement chime. Pity the movement hasn't a night lever. Is there no way you couldn't thread a piece of wire somewhere to lift the hammer without gumming the works ?
You could always buy your daughter a good pair of ear plugs [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Thanks all. I’ll let it run down and see how I get on. If it jams up I’ll go for plan B
If I were you, listen to Oldhippy. Remember even with the springs wound down. The assembly is still trying to operate. This could cause damage but its your choice

1 hour ago, digginstony said:

If I were you, listen to Oldhippy. Remember even with the springs wound down. The assembly is still trying to operate. This could cause damage but its your choice

Can I ask what damage??

Can I ask what damage??
Go to YouTube. Search "How a clock chime mechanism works" by halogen star.
Then imagine if there's no power on release and how this could gum up the works.
I couldn't add the link.
Same as whilst the mechanism is in cycle, very bad idea to move the hands to adjust the time until cycle has completed.

15 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The type of damage you could get is the striking levers and strike side train locking and if this happens, it will stop the clock. The said will be out of position and foul the timing train.  

I suppose you never stop learning with clocks & watches. I have two clocks that I do not wind the striking side to silence the chiming. As yet it has not caused a problem, I'm a bit worried now!!!.

It just depends on the movement. As you know, some movements can be quite sensitive. I’m looking at it for a customer who really wants it to keep time with no hassle. The best way and safest is to simply bend the hammer away from the gong, bell or rod. Clocks with a strike are expected to strike only those with silent lever are expected to be silent. Some have a built in mechanism which will auto switch of the strike between certain hours. The other thing is you can correct your own as you know what you are doing.      

I suppose you never stop learning with clocks & watches. I have two clocks that I do not wind the striking side to silence the chiming. As yet it has not caused a problem, I'm a bit worried now!!!.
I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Which this thread was really all about. We all have our guilty secrets. I remove difficult crud from jewel holes with a smooth broach, how incorrect (Now I'm in for it) Also as a hobbyist I don't always wear finger cots, when I should.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It just depends on the movement. As you know, some movements can be quite sensitive. I’m looking at it for a customer who really wants it to keep time with no hassle. The best way and safest is to simply bend the hammer away from the gong, bell or rod. Clocks with a strike are expected to strike only those with silent lever are expected to be silent. Some have a built in mechanism which will auto switch of the strike between certain hours. The other thing is you can correct your own as you know what you are doing.      

Here's my clock I keep upstairs. By James Stewart & Sons, City of Armagh, Northern Ireland. In reality it's German. Fitted with a Franz Hermle movement and complete with night lever, which has to be flicked up before her Ladyship goes to bed.
I've still got the Seiko quartz chimer downstairs that I used to like and tease you with a year or two ago.
Still think Stuart and Clockboy should bend those hammers, then once wound, everything can work as intended. On the plus side, if anything snaps in the process, they don't know where we live [emoji16]fcc5ef35b387ee48f5b78f85432503e3.jpg641845e4c991eb36e136c14c58dcd073.jpgcf61a3f5b82b83ad57e9c4a4e1acddb4.jpg

8 hours ago, clockboy said:

I was going to say the exact same thing, I have 2 Westminster chiming clock and a French chiming clock not wound, not had any problems!!!

Len

2 hours ago, digginstony said:

Oldhippy gives advice based on a lifetime as a successful Clockmaker. It's up to the individual whether to take notice or not.

Yes indeed - it’s been quite fun watching this discussion play out. If this was for someone else then I’d be bending that hammer rod right now.

For me, if the clock stops then the clock stops and when I have the time I can sort it out. If it doesn’t then all will be good. Next time the dear daughter is away for a few days I will run the clock and let the chime wind down.

For those who appreciate a picture see below. Not really a thing of any value, but was a fun project... especially building up layers of boot polish, beeswax and curator black to make the case shine. 

867FD11E-63DE-468E-8E8E-BE425F7B51A5.thumb.jpeg.fa56cf023cbe85de7339dad3a1f89ce7.jpeg

14 hours ago, clockshop said:

I would loosen grub screw on the hammer and carefully turn it to the side till is misses the bell/gong, 

regards john

Not all hammers in French movements have grub screws. Those that strike on a bell are normanly screwed directly onto the brass wire that makes up part of the hammer. See photo.

fcp11.jpg