Hendomas 8 Day Pocket Watch Repair and Servicing

I’ve just watched your video right through. It is very awkward trying to clean a movement without a proper cleaning machine. The mainspring repair is ok providing the screw does not rub against the spring. What types of oil did you use? The action of the balance is very poor, what about the time keeping. With such a powerful m/spring, when it is run down that balance will hardly rotate. I would check the whole escapement for old oil and make sure the jewels are spotless. It would have been a good idea to have assembled the train and tested before putting in the pallets. Good luck.  

Are you going to video the up-date when sorting out the balance? I do hope so.

• Like 1

I’ve just watched your video right through. It is very awkward trying to clean a movement without a proper cleaning machine. The mainspring repair is ok providing the screw does not rub against the spring. What types of oil did you use? The action of the balance is very poor, what about the time keeping. With such a powerful m/spring, when it is run down that balance will hardly rotate. I would check the whole escapement for old oil and make sure the jewels are spotless. It would have been a good idea to have assembled the train and tested before putting in the pallets. Good luck.  

I did take the balance out and cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner while contained in a smaller container. I did clean the jewels and the hairspring is now perfect. Got it swinging 270 deg now. It does run too slow: ind i have the regulator cranked over to fast. I could undercut the balance screws or even remove two and see what happens. For now, i am satisfied that it actually ticks, Phase 2 will be timing...when i get the energy.9abca5c1d08c1ea5405fc7eb5117b70c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn’t play around with the timing screws just yet. The best and safest thing is to take the hairspring in and re-pin. You will have to change the position of the hairspring on the balance to get it in beat but that is not difficult.  

• Like 1

I wouldn’t play around with the timing screws just yet. The best and safest thing is to take the hairspring in and re-pin. You will have to change the position of the hairspring on the balance to get it in beat but that is not difficult.  

Ok, the problem was actually a loose cannon pinion. So what i did was use one of my wife’s hairs and carefully placed it inside the cannon pinion. Then i slide it back onto the pivot/arbor. This provided enough friction for the cannon pinion without having to tighten it the normal way. I was afraid of damaging the cannon pinion as i have no other hebdomas movements for parts. So my wifes dna is now part of the watch. Please don’t yell at me for using that technique. The swing is around 180deg.

Ok, the problem was actually a loose cannon pinion. So what i did was use one of my wife’s hairs and carefully placed it inside the cannon pinion. Then i slide it back onto the pivot/arbor. This provided enough friction for the cannon pinion without having to tighten it the normal way. I was afraid of damaging the cannon pinion as i have no other hebdomas movements for parts. So my wifes dna is now part of the watch. Please don’t yell at me for using that technique. The swing is around 180deg.

b016ac4b0559e5c0bb895f98142bcbf1.jpgaa64eaa400f224a33b048b998409a314.jpg862d10fdbb4a5094d46ae8ffa65868b0.jpg1708e1f31c570f684c6c1aade976fca9.jpg

b016ac4b0559e5c0bb895f98142bcbf1.jpgaa64eaa400f224a33b048b998409a314.jpg862d10fdbb4a5094d46ae8ffa65868b0.jpg1708e1f31c570f684c6c1aade976fca9.jpg

I actually did not show the cleaning, only putting a few small parts in lighter fluid. I actually hand clean each part, peg out all the jewels, sink the pinions in soft wood and shine all the pivots. I also toothpick the movement plates to get any corner gunk out. Did not tape that as it would have taken another hour. PS: I do listen to all your advice over the years, Big Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I would have liked to have watched all that. Good luck.

The watch is now slow 5 min over the past 30 hours. Getting closer. Without a new “not set” mainspring, I don’t think i can get the amplitude any better.a0f71c197da5485aa203d1b626129191.jpg