Hi there. 

Just starting out out on my Horology journey, have all the gear and trying to get an idea with the help of Mark and his online courses. 

If anyone has any good websites, books, wisdom to share, I’m all ears and very greatful in advance!

Thank

Bethan

Hello Bethan,
Welcome aboard matey and G’Day.
Well for websites you’ve found the best one for learning. There are plenty of threads on other websites too dependent on what you are interested in. As for books, “Practical Watch Repairing” by Donald deCarle is the book most often recommended. As for wisdom... let’s just agree that you steer clear of most of the stuff that I post ok? :o)

What sort of things are you most interested in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Pip... great to meet you!

I’ve literally downloaded both of Marks courses and working through the 2nd as we speak, and on the side also looking at servicing a cheap Favre Leuba that stops after about 10 mins. 

Also got a few other old movements that aren’t working and looking to see if I can get them working, however, the main thing that I’m finding though is that once I diagnose a fault (such as a broken Escape Wheel pinion) that I’ve had to search eBay and wait for replacements, however, I’ve just ordered a bulk load of vintage watch parts and hoping I will have the choice of things from that... although the next thing is knowing how to identify parts that will fit in different movements... is there any trick with this or is it just size and shape? (I know that mainsprings are by length, thickness and height). 

Thanks again for reaching out @Pip

Well you’re doing the best thing; get some old movements your not worried about sending to the knackers yard to practice on as you will almost certainly bugger a few things up! When you are a bit more confident and competent then tackle some bits you actually want to service or fix. Basically get stuck in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By beastomaniac
      My Rolex Submariner cal. 3135 won't hack from time to time when I pull out the crown. Is it some kind of lubrication or mechanical issue, is it easily fixable without tearing the whole movement apart?
    • By MichaelH
      I am new to this community and mechanical watches in general, so I am here to learn and make great relationships with likeminded individuals! I will probably have many questions in the future, but for now I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. 
      - MH
    • By east3rn
      Hello. Dear watchmakers.
      I have a very old timepiece from Rolex that I am about to work on..
      From googling, I found out that this is called "trench watch" that might had been used during WWI or any other war in that era ( 1910~1920)
      However, I could not figure out the reference no. of the movement. All I know about the movement is that it is 29mm in diameter and has 15 jewels.
      I am actually looking for a replacement movement for this watch since the mainspring must be replaced due to damage.
      Plus, I am also looking for the rachet wheel with "Rolex" engraved to replace the existing one.
      I have found similar movements on the web(the third photo added)  but click part was not the same.
      I wonder if the one with different type of click would have parts that are replaceable.
      To sum up, my questions are
      1) the reference of the movement.
      2) how I can get parts or the whole movement for replacement
      3) does a movement with different click type would be suitable for replacement.
      Thanks and  I wish you a great day.

• By Calvin
      Hello guys
      Why my rolex precision 6466 stops when crown screw down..
      But it runs again when crown not screw down or in manual wind position?
      It stops when the crown enter too deep inside the movement..
      Thankyou
    • By Calvin
      Hello guys..
      My Rolex precision oysterdate date won,t change
      It stuck on 30 and won,t change even i try to set time to the next day.. and the next..
      What happen to this watch?
      Thankyou