Hi there. 

Just starting out out on my Horology journey, have all the gear and trying to get an idea with the help of Mark and his online courses. 

If anyone has any good websites, books, wisdom to share, I’m all ears and very greatful in advance!

Thank

Bethan

Hello Bethan,
Welcome aboard matey and G’Day.
Well for websites you’ve found the best one for learning. There are plenty of threads on other websites too dependent on what you are interested in. As for books, “Practical Watch Repairing” by Donald deCarle is the book most often recommended. As for wisdom... let’s just agree that you steer clear of most of the stuff that I post ok? :o)

What sort of things are you most interested in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Pip... great to meet you!

I’ve literally downloaded both of Marks courses and working through the 2nd as we speak, and on the side also looking at servicing a cheap Favre Leuba that stops after about 10 mins. 

Also got a few other old movements that aren’t working and looking to see if I can get them working, however, the main thing that I’m finding though is that once I diagnose a fault (such as a broken Escape Wheel pinion) that I’ve had to search eBay and wait for replacements, however, I’ve just ordered a bulk load of vintage watch parts and hoping I will have the choice of things from that... although the next thing is knowing how to identify parts that will fit in different movements... is there any trick with this or is it just size and shape? (I know that mainsprings are by length, thickness and height). 

Thanks again for reaching out @Pip

• Like 1

Well you’re doing the best thing; get some old movements your not worried about sending to the knackers yard to practice on as you will almost certainly bugger a few things up! When you are a bit more confident and competent then tackle some bits you actually want to service or fix. Basically get stuck in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kieran
      Hello,
      I recently serviced a W&D 1915 trench watch and to my horror discovered that the balance staff was worn, this meant that the watch would run dial down but not in any other orientation. 
      I believe it is a  BTCo (Damas) movement but not sure on caliber.
      If anyone can identify the movement and calibre and knows where spares can be sourced I'd be very grateful. Alternatively if anyone can suggest a replacement period correct movement that would be brilliant.
      Thank you
      Kieran

• By ChrisH
      I found this forum during a search for a reason that my watch dial or face twisted or rotated inside the watch. I’m unable to find anything about this happening. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. I got the watch as a graduation gift 20+years ago and wear it almost every day . Thanks. 

• By MakingSpace
      Hi,
       I have partially restored a Tissot Navigator T-12, the 24 hour version however when I tried to case it back up there was too much movement inside. The movement can move about 1mm forward and back towards the case back. I have a movement holder ring however I cannot find any guidance on whether it is the correct one. Or how it should look if serviceable. 
      does anyone have a photo of the case parts for this watch or similar. I will post photos. As you can see, I am using a couple of non-standard spacers forward of the dial to get the right tension. 

• By Graziano
      An aquatance asked me to have a look at his milgauss, this is what I found. The case is heavy and all parts feel and look correct ref no 116400gv green crystal.Has the Rolex emblem etched on the crystal. The bracelet has correct screw pins, the caseback is solid and feels smooth when unscrewing. Then I phoned him to tell the good news. And he informed me he paid 100 dollars. The case is worth more than the movement. 

• By clark348
      Hi All,
      A not so quick intro, i’ve always loved watches, and anything mechanical really, but normally on a much larger scale, cars, boats, anything R/C, I studied mechanical engineering with automotive design, but never really put it into any practice, but i’ve always got some projects i’m working on, restoring something, an old car, bike, motorcycle etc etc.... never even considered watches as something i could work on... then at the beginning of this second lockdown I found an old Tissot that I bought when I was about 15... (42 now with 3 kids) i loved this watch a wore it for years and it had always been great, very stylish with its square face and leather strap with clasp... i felt really guilty i hadn’t worn it for so long, it had long been put aside for a Rolex i got a bit later and have since grown to love and use all the time, (35mm SS Mechanical Precision Datejust) I felt like I just have to get this Tissot working again, so I put a new battery in it, It worked for a bit then stopped, so i though it needs a service, got a quote of +£300 to sort it and couldn’t believe that, so i thought i’ll do it myself, and my online endeavours brought me to Marks lessons, i’m currently half way through the 3rd course, the Tissot (i find out has got a ETA Quarts Movement 251.471) its currently in a million bits, cleaned it now, lost a few parts, when dismantling ???, but managed to work out what parts and reordered the parts... like a mad jigsaw puzzle, so now im nearly ready to re assemble it, just seems like it was very dirty, i think dirt right down in the motors, pinion within stator i believe, love this watch almost as much as the Rolex... so one way or another i’ll get it running, even if i have to buy a new movement (last resort, and would be cheating, i think) enjoying the silence of being at the desk, parts in front of me and a mechanical challenge... i find it so relaxing, i must be mad really, looking forward to seeing members others projects too, and would love to be able to service my Rolex too, but woun’t attempt that until the Tissot sorted... i recon the Rolex would probably be easy in comparison to what i’ve started, anyhow, my intro has dragged on a bit, i’d love some fundamental lessons on quartz, have been surprised about the lack of info on quartz movements, if anyone could point me in direction of basic info on them/lessons etc that would be fab... Looking forward to working on a few other watches i have, (Post Tissot) and looking at other members projects too...
      thanks Clark
      ill try a post a few pics of the tissot and its parts for you to see... i hope you agree it’s a nice looking watch, worthless but of big sentimental value to me...