G’Day from Sydney!

Bethan36

Hi there. 

Just starting out out on my Horology journey, have all the gear and trying to get an idea with the help of Mark and his online courses. 

If anyone has any good websites, books, wisdom to share, I’m all ears and very greatful in advance!

Thank

Bethan

Hello Bethan,
Welcome aboard matey and G’Day.
Well for websites you’ve found the best one for learning. There are plenty of threads on other websites too dependent on what you are interested in. As for books, “Practical Watch Repairing” by Donald deCarle is the book most often recommended. As for wisdom... let’s just agree that you steer clear of most of the stuff that I post ok? :o)

What sort of things are you most interested in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Pip... great to meet you!

I’ve literally downloaded both of Marks courses and working through the 2nd as we speak, and on the side also looking at servicing a cheap Favre Leuba that stops after about 10 mins. 

Also got a few other old movements that aren’t working and looking to see if I can get them working, however, the main thing that I’m finding though is that once I diagnose a fault (such as a broken Escape Wheel pinion) that I’ve had to search eBay and wait for replacements, however, I’ve just ordered a bulk load of vintage watch parts and hoping I will have the choice of things from that... although the next thing is knowing how to identify parts that will fit in different movements... is there any trick with this or is it just size and shape? (I know that mainsprings are by length, thickness and height). 

Thanks again for reaching out @Pip

• Like 1

Well you’re doing the best thing; get some old movements your not worried about sending to the knackers yard to practice on as you will almost certainly bugger a few things up! When you are a bit more confident and competent then tackle some bits you actually want to service or fix. Basically get stuck in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...