Great book on adjustment

Just found a great book on rules for watch timing.   Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches  by WALTER J. KLEINLEIN  author of Practical Balance And Hair Spring Work. This book goes much more in depth than DeCarle and others. Actually breaks down for beginners and highly skilled workman. The beginner section is broken down and explained in depth step by step for each position and what to do if in the minus or positive in each position. Also gives hundreth of millimeter side and end play for each train gear and pallet and escape wheel. Wich I have always wondered how much was correct and never found anywhere else. Highly recommend for bench top reference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

getting ready to drop the hammer on a stereo microscope wich magnefication do you guys think is best. most recommend 45x and the other half say 90x. any advice will be greatly appreciated. want to have enough power to check for chipped jewels but still have enough working height.

I have one with two different eyepieces (pairs), a 10x and 15x, and the scope itself has 1x and 3x, giving a total of 4 magnifications, 10x, 15x, 30x, and 45x. I find 30x to be optimal for being able to see what I need and still have room under the main lens to work.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:03 PM, zebulon said:

getting ready to drop the hammer on a stereo microscope wich magnefication do you guys think is best. most recommend 45x and the other half say 90x. any advice will be greatly appreciated. want to have enough power to check for chipped jewels but still have enough working height.

Wow, stereo microscope?  Here I was thinking I was a Big Kahuna for ordering an electronic timing machine...