Stubborn Bulova case back

Lc130

I've seen your link, but are you sure that's the same watch as yours? First of all,  If the back of your watch comes off, there would be NO ROOM for the dial+movement to come out as it would be a very small opening and obviously the dial would have to be attached to the movement. What does the front of the watch look like? Does it have a small dial and:huh: a large bezel?

J

I'm trying to open it on the side opposite the crown.  That's where the chewed up notch is.  I can't tell if that notch is machined or simply hacked in by others trying to open it.  The notch is seen on the second pic. 

Thanks!

Charlie

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

Edited by Lc130

I would say it has a two-part stem and you have to remove the crystal to get the movement out through the front. That notch you've been trying was someone's wishful thinking. The stem should pull out completely--use a pair of tweezers or watch hand removers with low to moderate force. You'll need a crystal remover for the next step.

J

OK, I was able to open a seam in the back using a razor.  The back definitely comes off.  I can just barely get a Horotec case knife in and can see the seam open and close when I rock the blade.  It wont pop off.  Is there some penetrating solution I should try?

Thank you

Charlie

10 hours ago, Lc130 said:

OK, I was able to open a seam in the back using a razor.  The back definitely comes off.  I can just barely get a Horotec case knife in and can see the seam open and close when I rock the blade.  It wont pop off.  Is there some penetrating solution I should try?

Some criminal "repairers" glue the back to make sure the customer comes back to them in desperation. Apply no more than 2 or 3 drops of acetone (nail varnish remover) to the seam. However most likely that's not needed, just go around the seam slowly and patiently with a small blade, max 5mm wide. Don't twist, just pry it up. That will minimize marks on the case. 

1 hour ago, Lc130 said:

Thank you

Charlie

Wow you found it.... that back must be glued on like @jdm said. If acetone won't work maybe isopropyl alcohol?

Realizing I'm a beginner, I took it to the watch guy at the mall who popped it off in 2 minutes.  Though with much effort.  All that fighting get the balance swinging again to boot!

Thank all very much!

Edited by Lc130

• 3 years later...

I have this exact same watch and am having the same issue getting the back off. The watch came from a watchmakers estate and has been sitting in a drawer since the 70's so I don't think it would be glued on, I just think this case is a real bear to open.

I've tried my case knife as well as one of these snapback case openers that I have successfully previously used on stubborn cases, but it's only dinging up the case and ruining the blade on the case opener.  The stem is loose on this watch and it's not a split stem and the watch won't come out the front after removing the crystal so I'm not sure what to try next. I guess I'll give a razor a try as well.

This is the same watch after disassembly.

61JYoZ4wSVL._AC_UL1000_.thumb.jpg.d800ddf1230021e0c4ee7e9d5617760e.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag

• 1 month later...

I came back to this watch today and when I looked at the caseback seam under a scope I could see there *was* a lip where a case knife would fit but when the last person who worked on the watch put the caseback on they put the lip underneath the lug, which is curved towards the caseback. That made it difficult to get access to as the lug was in the way, but I was able to get a razor blade in the lip and pop the caseback off.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

I came back to this watch today and when I looked at the caseback seam under a scope I could see there *was* a lip where a case knife would fit but when the last person who worked on the watch put the caseback on they put the lip underneath the lug, which is curved towards the caseback. That made it difficult to get access to as the lug was in the way, but I was able to get a razor blade in the lip and pop the caseback off.

Small victories are what life is about!

• Like 1