Finding an ETA 6497

Hi,

For the second course I understand the work is done on an ETA 6497 movement.  Does anyone know a watch that I might score on eBay fairly cheap so I'm using the same one as in the lessons?  I googled the movement and found a few new ones for sale (offrei and esslinger) at the $200-$250 range.

It'd be nice if that movement was used in an el-cheapo watch I can get on eBay, I'm just not sure how to find out what watches would have that particular movement in them.  Or does anyone have a recommendation of a movement I might find that is pretty similar, but cheaper to practice on than what I've found so far?

Thanks for any advice.

3 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

A unitas 6497  wouldn't that work. A Unitas 6310 or silimar is a nice movement that works fine as a starter movement? 

Mark's course is based on the 6497. Altough all these can be very similar, I can understand the desire of using the same model as in the lessons. Beside, these large watches are enjoying a new youth with customization and their bold look.

Do a search on eBay for ST36 this is the Chinese version somewhere in the range of $30-$50 for the movement. If you watch marks video above you'll notice he does say he's using a clone version and that they work quite well. Then used ones on eBay the best price is if the seller doesn't list the model number. So usually listed as a Swiss pocket watch Ideally you want to buy one where there taken aback off and you can see that it's the proper movement. Which basically means you have to spend a lot of time searching on eBay but if you do You can get some really good prices it just takes time to find the cheap ones.

Look on ebay for Arnex pocketwatches. I have 5 of them, all with the similar 6498 movement and the only difference is that the subseconds hand is 90 degrees from the stem instead of 180 degrees. Some have a brass or gold plated mvt but most are steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7252cc3192e3fe9982c9d8f5e8ae0d4d.jpg

621bc9be7232e022f36209837b0555d3.jpg

6d57dc50b035e1a947dbe4087f0f6d62.jpg

Look on ebay for Arnex pocketwatches. I have 5 of them, all with the similar 6498 movement and the only difference is that the subseconds hand is 90 degrees from the stem instead of 180 degrees. Some have a brass or gold plated mvt but most are steel.

7252cc3192e3fe9982c9d8f5e8ae0d4d.jpg

621bc9be7232e022f36209837b0555d3.jpg

6d57dc50b035e1a947dbe4087f0f6d62.jpg

Even when buying Arnex pocketwatches as I cautioned in my message above it's nice if you can see the movement. I purchased them without seeing the movement but there's a caution. Notice in the images I attached the name is right and it's a pocket watch but the movement is not. The clue is where the secondhand is. On the wrist watch movements it's a much higher up on the dial. So ideally you should see the movement but that pushes the price up you can usually guess not seeing the movement and pick these up cheaply. Then there are other Swiss pocket watch companies or names on pocket watch movements that would be suitable occasionally some of the's will have a slightly older generation movement but still there modern Swiss pocket watches great for learning with.

bad-pw2.JPG

bad-pw1.JPG

1 hour ago, kevinb95 said:

I did a buy it now on a ST36 movement, $32 shipped.

Can you post the link or item ID? I couldn't find the mov.t alone that low on AliX. But buying an entire watch gets you something wearable or sellable after done playing :)

Item 173219804789  I went with the movement for now.  I saw a case that I liked, I'm bidding on too.  It looks a lot like an Ocean Crawler case.  I thought it would be fun to make my own mock Ocean Crawler if I can find a face that is similar.  Once I'm done learning how to strip the movement that is. 

1 hour ago, kevinb95 said:

Item 173219804789 

Can't find that one but found 112872442837 shipping from EU, which is great for me, but not for you from the US - saying face reveals that.
Maybe should get one case and many mov.s to swap in, LoL

Talking about  a genuine Swiss ETA/Unitas 6497, these are much harder to find used than a 6498 because the 8s were used in a bunch of similar, mass produced pocket watches with the stem at 3 o'clock during something like the 1950s-70s (As shown already) .  For your purpose, I don't know how a Chinese clone type 6497 movement would work (easy to find inexpensive), or a Swiss 6498.  Sorry for any info you might already know/be obvious, just getting my start here.