Screws when servicing and protecting dials

Hi all,

I want to get a get a quick idea of how you all organise your screws while servicing. How do you make sure the same screw goes back into the same hole? Do you wash them? Do you have a compartmentalised arrangement?

In terms dials, how do you keep them 100% scratch free? How do you prevent damage aside from good Bergeron hand pullers and small Bergeron dial protectors?

Regards,

Chris

The method I use I keep the parts ie bridges and their screws together and clean them together. I also make a note if any single bridge screws that are longer. Also normally I also keep the two sides of the watch separate.

The method I use I keep the parts ie bridges and their screws together and clean them together. I also make a note if any single bridge screws that are longer. Also normally I also keep the two sides of the watch separate.

Thanks Clockboy! That’s a good method I’ll keep in mind for future work.

I have plastic trays with compartments where I put screws and the parts/plates that they correspond with. I do clean the screws just like all other parts.

I "protect" dials by simply placing a plastic transparent bag over the hands when I remove them. I actually find it better than those specially made dial protectors...

If a screw is clean and shiny, what's the point exactly of washing it? More manipulation = more chances of parts flying = more time spent or parts lost.

Also, what is special about "Bergeon" dial protectors? Admittedly not expensive, but do they have any quality that one can't reproduce cutting his own?

20 minutes ago, jdm said:

If a screw is clean and shiny, what's the point exactly of washing it? More manipulation = more chances of parts flying = more time spent spent.

Also, what is special about "Bergeon" dial protectors? Admittedly not expensive, but do they have any quality that one can't reproduce cutting his own?

To be honest I don't even think that they're good. The material used for making them should have been better. Thinner, more elastic...

4 hours ago, jdm said:

If a screw is clean and shiny, what's the point exactly of washing it? More manipulation = more chances of parts flying = more time spent or parts lost.

I do just a matter of habit clean the screws but as you say not always necessary but that's just my method. :)

The Bergeon protectors do have a bevel that runs through the slot that home-made won't have. I guess the idea is to allow them under more tightly fit hands while giving better protection where leverage is being applied against the dial. Sometimes I'll use a thinner piece of acetate to protect the dial when I start the hands up. This is especially true on when the hour hand has little clearance from the dial. I then switch to the Bergeon now that they will fit better under the hands, and continue.

I have plastic trays with compartments where I put screws and the parts/plates that they correspond with. I do clean the screws just like all other parts.
I "protect" dials by simply placing a plastic transparent bag over the hands when I remove them. I actually find it better than those specially made dial protectors...

Another I need to implement. Thanks for the tip!
I’m really not finding the Bergeon ones fantastic. They have managed to mark dials before...

I’m still getting used to not washing them at my new work place.
Agreed on the the Bergeon point, they’re not the best nor special.