WHAT IS THIS?(HELP NEEDED)

Hello.

I "rescued" this huge pocket watch wich is now called GOLIATH, because of its size, from a (troglodyte) seller. He scratched the case trying to open the mechanism lid.

I should start with the very few information I collected from many places, including of course watchmakers and jewellers estimations.

-Size: 36s (60.11mm). The biggest one.

-Case: 70mm(With out crown).

-Case Material: Steel (No Stainless). Gunmetal finish.

-Movement: Cylinder Escapement. Which means it might be prior to 20th Century.

- Dial type: Looks like silver/ gold plated brass with enameled arabic numbers. Perhaps the entire plate is made of silver with gilds.

-It might be made in France. The mechanism lid has a phrase in french (ACIER GARANTI)

According to the above mentioned, the two main questions are: 

-WHO MADE THIS POCKET WATCH?

-WHEN?(Estimated year of manufacture)

This particular piece is working, but needs a full service. My last question would be: SHOULD I "RESTORE" THE DIAL OR SHOULD I LEAVE IT AS IT IS RIGHT NOW?

Every comment and suggestion will be highly appreciated.

The images:

cole008.jpg

cole009.jpg

cole010.jpg

cole014.jpg

cole015.jpg

cole017.jpg

I cant tell you who made the movement but the case is made by Pierre et Etienne Frainier and the mark on the watch was first registered in 1901 the designs on the case where often signed Frainier usually on a part of the foliage in the design is the back of the case decorated too ? Frainier cases in themselves are quite collectable they where a very small manufacturer. They where manufacturing watch cases from around 1864 to 1930, in a factory in Morteau  Fance close to the swiss boarder.

The movement is not a cylinder it is a jewelled  Swiss lever escapement  of reasonably good quality.

I would put the watch at no later than 1910

Edited by wls1971
spelling as usual
  • Like 1

Goliath’s were used as travel watches and would normally sit in a case some plain or very decretive some silver.  Wis1971 is very correct; there isn’t much I can add. I think this is a 30 hour movement because of the way the train (wheels) are set out, most are 8 day. Do not do anything to the dial. The case is what is known as gun metal.  Red arrow depicts a replacement screw.

cole017.jpg.ea4808000a885f930b0af53726b1b78d.jpg

I like the look of it. personally I wouldn't do a lot to it apart from clean and service. I think it has a pleasant authentic patina to it. It is not the normal gold or silver pocket watch that people expect to be pristine. Just my thoughts.

Forgot to add I like the retro look of the movement. Not seen anything quite like that. The bridges shape/design look Swiss/French of about the period suggested, but with interesting differences. Obviously keyless so not super old. Interesting that the bridges are not bare brass as most I see are, and they have some nice simple decoration.

I have a few Swiss pocket watches from this period and they are all smaller, bare brass bridges, mostly undecorated. I am trying to get older keyed works. I am certainly no expert and have been looking at pocket watches more closely for about a year so far.

Edited by Vacherin
forgot a few bits

Hello everyone:

Wls1971 & Oldhippy:

Thank you very much for your kind attention and accurate information regarding this piece. It provides more light about the origin of it and in some way allow me to "speculate" the way this pocket watch end here in a flea market:

-Between 1865 to 1920, There were some families who showed up as aristocrats and followers of the extinct French empire in Mexico. These families were living in such fancy manors in the same Neighborhood, The "Rome neighborhood".

-With the pass of time these families were getting old and perish, leaving some distant relatives with a lot of debts and fully furnished "old houses (mansions)".

-The flea market where I did acquire this watch is located in "Rome neighborhood".

- (Oldhippy, this proves your explanation)  Somebody there at the flea market were selling a silver box with a "big hole". He said it was a "fancy kleenex dispenser".

Vacherin:

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I certainly will clean it and service the mechanism. I am planning to restore "in a museological way" the gun metal finish (just to erase the scratches in the mechanism lid and prevent more rust in the hinges).

TimFitz:

Thank you very much. :D