Balance staff came out :(

p2n

Trying to put the hairspring collect back on and managed to push the balance staff out. This is why I'm practising on a Ingersoll dollar watch I bought for fiver!

Still - can I repair this? The balance staff is now loose.

P3240004.thumb.JPG.90803f95e35827340a402d76a8de3ec9.JPGP3240005.thumb.JPG.41058bf7e9839a4c9f2099c2c2eab77a.JPG

It looks likes someone got a bit too aggressive with the graver when they were cutting off the rivet. If it came out by just pressing the hairspring back onto the shoulder, it wasn't held in very well to begin with. That hole in the balance arm looks pretty hogged out. I doubt if a replacement staff would fill that hole. One would have to turn one themselves. Good luck.

hmmm - superglue time :D

So the balance staff has been replaced at some time in the past?

Would love to be able to know the history of this watch. Purchased in around 1892 for a dollar - bet the first owner was chuffed. Then 130+ years later on my desk and on it's last legs.

19 minutes ago, digginstony said:

If you have a staking set you could try closing the hole on the balance wheel. Start with a hollow domed stake and finish with a flat, making a friction fit possible.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

It’s called swaging. Careful in doing it and support it well as you could distort the balance arm out of plane and add another problem.

I have a staking set - just not much knowledge on using it. I'll try and see what happens.
Remember when fitting the wheel to the staff to set the impulse jewel 90° to the balance arm. Either way the watch will require to be in "Beat"
Mark has an excellent video on how to do this .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk