Advice required, Rolex calibre 2135 hairspring collet.

diatribe

I purchased a Rolex cal. 2135 fitted balance wheel, staff and roller from a dealer in California. The parts all appear to be authentic, as opposed to generic. However, I have a problem in that the hairspring collet from my original balance doesn't fit the new staff. The diam. of the aforementioned being .5 mm and the  hairspring collet hole being circa .3 mm. I am wondering if there are variations in cal. 2135  balance staff dims. and hairspring collet hole dims.  I can't enlarge the hole in order to fit it to the staff and I don't want to dissemble the new balance and turn down the staff

Will I be able to get a cal. 2135 hairspring with a larger collet hole , if not what is the solution. I would be grateful for any assistance that can be afforded to me on this matter. Thank you.

Im not sure that mixing and matching balances and hairsprings is a great idea, as they are matched at the factory for poise and beat. The best bet would probably be to obtain a balance and spring complete. However, reaming out the collet hole 0.1mm shouldn't pose too much of a problem, as it still needs to be slightly smaller than the balance seat for a friction fit.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. The problem with acquiring a  balance complete is of course the prohibitive price, most of the vendors advertising Rolex parts are attempting to out -retail the aforementioned, in some cases, doubling the manufacturer's recommended prices. 

I had thought of enlarging the collet aperture, but  was concerned with damaging the hairspring. The other option would be to dissemble the roller and turn down the staff with the balance wheel intact. Opening the collet would appear to be the lesser of the two evils, but how would you suggest that I safely secure it in order to do so. The only way I can think of would be by utilising my staking tool set.

I reiterate my thanks  to you for replying and would be further grateful for your advice on the best way to safely secure the hairspring in order to enable me to enlarge the collet aperture.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, diatribe said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. The problem with acquiring a  balance complete is of course the prohibitive price, most of the vendors advertising Rolex parts are attempting to out -retail the aforementioned, in some cases, doubling the manufacturer's recommended prices. 

Just a note, there is no "manufacturer's recommended prices" when it comes to Rolex parts. Their policy is to sell to authorized service centers only. Still, new original parts can somehow be found, sure can be expensive, but unless you take the route above, there could be no alternative for repair.

9 minutes ago, jdm said:

Just a note, there is no "manufacturer's recommended prices" when it comes to Rolex parts. Their policy is to sell to authorized service centers only. Still, new original parts can somehow be found, sure can be expensive, but unless you take the route above, there could be no alternative for repair.

I fully appreciate that Rolex don't supply parts to anyone other than authorised service centres and was referring to parts asking prices  for the aforementioned. As previously stated, the prices being asked by unauthorised sources are  both prohibitive and unrealistic..

1 minute ago, diatribe said:

I fully appreciate that Rolex don't supply parts to anyone other than authorised service centres and was referring to parts asking prices  for the aforementioned. As previously stated, the prices being asked by unauthorised sources are  both prohibitive and unrealistic..

Just curious, how much are we talking about in your case?

4 hours ago, diatribe said:

I had thought of enlarging the collet aperture, but  was concerned with damaging the hairspring. The other option would be to dissemble the roller and turn down the staff with the balance wheel intact. Opening the collet would appear to be the lesser of the two evils, but how would you suggest that I safely secure it in order to do so. The only way I can think of would be by utilising my staking tool set.

I reiterate my thanks  to you for replying and would be further grateful for your advice on the best way to safely secure the hairspring in order to enable me to enlarge the collet aperture.

Ideally you would use a tool such as this....but one similar could probably be made, or given the size that we're talking about here, even a hand broaching vice might work, such as the second picture. Just be mindful of the hairspring stud and make sure it's not being pinched while holding the collet.

3007.jpg

LBR002A.jpg