E-Timer escapement analyser on a Mac

Ligne

Morning all.

Im looking into getting the software available from Graham Baxter but I use an iMac. My understanding is that I can install windows via bootcamp and it will run as it should but what about the connection from Mic to iMac, there doesn't seem to be the appropriate doc for the connector on an old greiner microphone.

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I'll have to buy a cheap windows laptop which I don't really want or need.

Cheers,

Ligne

I have talked to Graham on this matter. It might be possible to partition the HD & run a windows programme on one of the patricians. However you need a good size HD and as yet this is theory. One of Graham's suggestions is to use a microphone clip attached to the watch crown. I will eventually purchase the software but finances are too tight at present.

That's right. I think the easy bit is the splitting the hard drive and running windows, I'm just not sure how the mic will be connected to the Mac. 

Ive spoken with Graham and get the feeling he isn't a Mac fan! Hopefully somebody has figured out a way as it seems a great product. 

I use VMware Fusion on OSX to run XP (which most windows programs still support). Thinking of moving to Virtual Box, which is identical but free and more open. Maybe try Virtual Box and use a USB soundcard device. The usb device gets put through to XP directly. 

3 hours ago, Ligne said:

That's right. I think the easy bit is the splitting the hard drive and running windows, I'm just not sure how the mic will be connected to the Mac. 

Ive spoken with Graham and get the feeling he isn't a Mac fan! Hopefully somebody has figured out a way as it seems a great product. 

Graham said that his software runs great on a notebook style PC. I have been looking in shops like "cash converters" that sell used PC's/Notebooks normally with a windows programme already loaded.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to persevere with it on the Mac trying to install windows via bootcamp. Hopefully I'll get it working soon. Now onto the task of finding a mic, missed out on an old vibrograf mp86 yesterday which apparently can work well with the eTimer. 

What type of plug does the Greiner mic have? I ask because if it's a standard 1/4" plug, then you should be able to get an adapter to plug into a 1/8" plug. I got one with a pair of Sony headphone monitors, so I know it is available.

Last week I downloaded the Timegrapher app for IOS to an ipod. Initially I used a Planet Waves piezo pickup made for electronic musical instrument tuning. It worked, but not particularly well. I then saw, somewhere on the internet, a guy using the wired headset that used to come with an iPhone. I doubt they still do, but maybe. Anyway, with the watch crown laid on top of the mic portion of the headset, it worked much better. I guess it was tuned to go with that mic. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.