Nonsensical problem reported? Or am I dumb?

azkid

Is it just me or does the following not quite make sense? This is a problem reported by an eBay buyer of a 1937 grade 345, 12S, 17J Elgin movement I sold recently:

...the winding arbor where you set the time and wind the pocket-watch movement is stripped out badly. Now, since I do not have a mainspring winder it would be impossible for me to remove the mainspring barrel assembly to access and replace the defective part.

I just wanted to check my newb understanding with the gurus here.

My assumption is something is wrong with the barrel arbor or spring. But to me the statement does not make sense, altogether.

I ran the movement overnight, recorded timing traces in 6 positions for a few minutes each, and provided approximate results in the listing -- rather than the typical and ambiguous "keeps time" and/or "runs".

I was hoping to go to a little extra effort to reduce risk for the buyer. So much for that idea.

Once I get the movement back I will post up the autopsy results.

Maybe I can fix whatever is wrong and track down a stem and case for it eventually.

(Auction link for reference: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332575152043)4201154938d869de9b87ca5eb55d2ff4.jpge412280f25af417580d6bde2d3fd29cb.jpg

the buyer probably isn't aware this uses a specific stem, and he's trying to use a normal case/stem setup. Since he can't put any pressure on the winding mechanism (winding clutch), he can't let the power down to disassemble, although if it was running he could just let it "run down"....

I'm surprised he can't just use a common sized bench key to let down the mainspring. I've worked on a few 12 Elgins and have never had a problem. Now if the clutch-wheel is stripped internally, unlikely, maybe he'd have an issue. Maybe he's referring to a bench-key as a mainspring winder. I mean, if he can't get let down the mainspring in order to take down the watch, I don't know what a mainspring winder is going to get him. It is confusing indeed. I'd be interested to hear about the condition of the inside of the clutch. Good luck.

5 hours ago, azkid said:

Maybe that's what's going on.

I did mention in the listing about the more modern stem being required but that's ok guarantee he saw that sentence (I miss things all the time).

Was this watch a watch you sold on eBay. If so did you sell it as a working watch or was it sold as parts & repair. If it was sold as a working watch I would be very worried about the buyer attempting repairs because you just don't know what he/she as broken in attempting the repair. I wonder why if it was not working why you was not contacted at that point. 

I was thinking that maybe the mainspring was slipping?? It’s a confusing statement and I’m pretty sure they’re mixing up at least one or more of their terms.
Or, they’re just trying to scam you.....and there’s nothing wrong. Or user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1