Can this be fixed? (A visit from the fairy)

p2n

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

Depends on how hard it's stuck. If the plate is made from brass and you have no other steel parts on it? You could remove it with Alum. 

Search the forum. Lot of info about that. 

Thanks. The plate is all brass so will get some Alum and give it ago.

Any suggestions on where to get a replacement screw? What is the correct name for the gear/screw concerned?

brokenScrew.thumb.JPG.f1bfb4fe6e1093c4ffdbd1de1f718c84.JPG

36 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

That was a little much for one screw?

Yes lol. The whole watch only cost £5.50 on fleabay. I'm keeping to the cheap ones until I know how to keep the fairy at bay.

All I know about the movement is it's an "Oris". There doesn't seem to be any other identifying marks on it. I need to dissolve the stub out with some Alum and then clean it. I'll add some photos when I reassemble it.

15 hours ago, p2n said:

Yes lol. The whole watch only cost £5.50 on fleabay. I'm keeping to the cheap ones until I know how to keep the fairy at bay.

All I know about the movement is it's an "Oris". There doesn't seem to be any other identifying marks on it. I need to dissolve the stub out with some Alum and then clean it. I'll add some photos when I reassemble it.

Have some boxes with screws from both pocket watches and normal watches. If you have the sizes of the screw i can have a look if i have anything that could work? 

If you buy the box of 100 screws from cousinsuk it's no  guarantee that there is one screw that would work in that lot. 

The alum works - been soaking for a few days and been placing the pot in a saucepan of boiling water on the evenings for 30 mins or so.

Still needs a little more time as I think I can see a few remnants of the threads.

The only problem now is finding a replacement...

P3240004.thumb.JPG.bb7facabc1b51f8d4ad19cf6af29e783.JPG

It's all back together save for the crown wheel. Winding it direct it ticks so pleased with that.

The actual screw is

Head 3.2mm

Barrel(?) 2.3mm

Thread ~ 1mm

My vernier calipers are not the most expensive so these measurements may be out a little (and its all a little small for them...)

They sell a pack of these on cousins for £20 +VAT & P+P but the watch only cost fiver so I'm reluctant to spend that much!

So until then I'll be keeping an eye of fleabay for a job lot :)

P3280001.JPG

17 hours ago, p2n said:

That looks to be the almost the same mechanism!

Got any spare screws? ;)

almost.jpg.207d52fe2780eab87ef7b3e93e2113d1.jpg

No extra screws. have a couple of baumgartner movement also. They look the same. I have been through  my box of screws without any luck. Where do you live p2n ? Could send you some screws if you like. 

Measured the barrel and it's about 1,9 mm in diameter. Both on the baumgartner and the brac. thread is 1 mm . So that could work. 

I can measure the crown wheel . 

Sharpen some peg wood and screw it into the hole.

Then you can use thread gauges to get an idea of the TPI or metric equivalent.

Then comes the fun job of working out what thread it is.

@rogart63 This made me chuckle - we forgot to check scale....

P4040014.thumb.JPG.67bec4b33ae9b94c2ffece72314776cb.JPG

Out of the screws there were two types with the same thread. The problem is the shoulder, one too small and one too big.

Original in the middle:

P4040016.thumb.JPG.602ff2898fff48b334b3b6999c2a3720.JPG

I haven't got an broaches only needle files - what are the chances of being able to open the hole to accept the larger shoulder?

• Like 1