Vostok Amphibia: manual winding mechanism not working?

Hi there,

I own the watch pictured and found this morning that it had stopped. I figured it had just unwound itself (though it was weird cause I wore it yesterday). So I wound it manually... but nothing happened. The crown (sorry if that's not the right word) turned and clicked as normal, but the second hand wouldn't start again. The only thing that's made the second hand go is if I vigorously shake the watch for a few seconds—then it will begin ticking again, but only for three to five seconds before stopping again. It could be cause I dropped it a couple times yday =( (maybe 40cm, onto carpet, but still...).

Any ideas of whether this is something I'd be able to fix myself or what I'd need to take photos of for you guys to help me out?!

Appreciate ANY help at all you guys can give me!

Cheers,
Nick

IMG_20180320_075713863.jpg

IMG_20180320_075728829.jpg

Sounds like a broken mainspring, but it could be a number of things. Disassembly is required to diagnose it, and if you've never done it before it would probably be best to take it to a qualified repair person.

Edited by khunter

2 hours ago, khunter said:

Sounds like a broken mainspring, but it could be a number of things. Disassembly is required to diagnose it, and if you've never done it before it would probably be best to take it to a qualified repair person.

Hey thanks heaps for the quick reply! That's a bummer, but appreciate the advice.=)

2 hours ago, khunter said:

The amphibia crown is a weird construction where a square portion of the stem engages in a square cut-out in the crown. The crown needs to be fully out and the stem engaged to enable it to be wound. Could be that this is worn and thereby the watch doesn't wind properly?

Anilv