Strange Lathe Thread

jdrichard

13 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Last note: picked up a nut today and it fit perfect. Need to cut it and compress it a bit. Still confused as i don’t think it is an acme thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is not it an acme thread.   There is no reason to think it was and lots to think it wasn't, but proof positive is that the metric nut fit perfectly.

Why do you need to cut it and want to compress it?   imo this is fruitless exercise; describe what are you trying to achieve and if I can I'll be glad to describe how to get there....but imo its not going to be through the plastic deformation of a nut.

• Like 1

This is not it an acme thread.   There is no reason to think it was and lots to think it wasn't, but proof positive is that the metric nut fit perfectly.
Why do you need to cut it and want to compress it?   imo this is fruitless exercise; describe what are you trying to achieve and if I can I'll be glad to describe how to get there....but imo its not going to be through the plastic deformation of a nut.

The Lathe requires a nut that stays in place once it is snugged up against the tail stock spindle. The other lathe nuts i am trying to emulate all have a slot that you use to do the final adjustment of the nut. It goes on a bit snug. So i want the nut to be snug and to do this the nut that i purchased needs to be compressed a bit. So i plan on grinding it down to reduce its length, cutting the slot and then , perhaps, heating it and compressing it.

1 hour ago, jdrichard said:

The Lathe requires a nut that stays in place once it is snugged up against the tail stock spindle. The other lathe nuts i am trying to emulate all have a slot that you use to do the final adjustment of the nut. It goes on a bit snug. So i want the nut to be snug and to do this the nut that i purchased needs to be compressed a bit. So i plan on grinding it down to reduce its length, cutting the slot and then , perhaps, heating it and compressing it.

Use two nuts, tighten them against each other - lock nuts.  afaik that is the OEM set up for that machine.   I mentioned it before - you don't like that approach?   For lots of reasons I think trying  plastic deformation of the nut will be a problem and have not seen a machine put together that way. 

Edited by measuretwice

Use two nuts, tighten them against each other - lock nuts.  afaik that is the OEM set up for that machine.   I mentioned it before - you don't like that approach?   For lots of reasons I think trying  plastic deformation of the nut will be a problem and have not seen a machine put together that way. 

Good job. You see either split nuts like this, or alternatively pairs of nuts with one acting as a lock-nut as measuretwice suggests. 

The latter is commonly used for cup/cone bearings on bike hubs and on older headsets. It’s worth mentioning that tightening the locknut with the other held static actually pushes the static nut further. Presumably as the threads are compressed closer together.