Watch case repair.

Hello, first time here.

I have a watch on it's way, it is not a very common watch it is a Rado Blue Tiger from the early 70s the case is made of corundum (sapphire) and it is missing a piece between the lug in the back.

Any suggestions as to what materials to use to fill the space.

I was thinking maybe epoxy or JB Weld.

Thanks.139e56e09d44dbd9ccd286f3884df2ae.jpgcec72292383a58c53fd6f0d64e68d0bd.jpge388852100096e24599636ac55c60b77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I think you're spot on with your suggestion of JB Weld.

You may need to do a couple of thin layers rather than trying to get it filled in one go. JB Weld is then easily sandable once dry so with some fine wet-and-dry sanding paper you should be able to achieve a good finish. JB Weld will however dry a dark grey so you'd have to find a 'midnight blue' (enamel) paint to best match.

I think you're spot on with your suggestion of JB Weld.
You may need to do a couple of thin layers rather than trying to get it filled in one go. JB Weld is then easily sandable once dry so with some fine wet-and-dry sanding paper you should be able to achieve a good finish. JB Weld will however dry a dark grey so you'd have to find a 'midnight blue' (enamel) paint to best match.
Thank you.

Wow.. you got lucky here as the break can be disguised. These cases tend to crack in two if they are dropped!
Good luck!
Anilv

Thanks, yes I got lucky you don't see to many of these watches around and they are almost impossible to find in good condition.
I was lucky the other day and found a green one NOS.9224fadad14b9fc90fe482eb02c63f49.jpga70364660905e90ed7890bdedf7cdcef.jpg

• Like 1

Just as another quick tip...

If you refer to your second picture you're clearly going to want to create a nice straight and clean edge as easily as possible. If you can get hold of some vinyl masking tape - usually called fine line masking tape at model shops - then you could pull a piece taut around the edge of the watch to create that. Crucially if you cut a small section of this tape and reverse it where the repair is - so the non-sticky side is where the repair is but the rest of the tape holds it in place - then this should peel away once the JB Weld has cured to leave a lovely straight edge. [You could of course probably do the same with any smooth tape but ths vinyl tape sprung to mind as a good choice].

• Like 1

Just as another quick tip...
If you refer to your second picture you're clearly going to want to create a nice straight and clean edge as easily as possible. If you can get hold of some vinyl masking tape - usually called fine line masking tape at model shops - then you could pull a piece taut around the edge of the watch to create that. Crucially if you cut a small section of this tape and reverse it where the repair is - so the non-sticky side is where the repair is but the rest of the tape holds it in place - then this should peel away once the JB Weld has cured to leave a lovely straight edge. [You could of course probably do the same with any smooth tape but ths vinyl tape sprung to mind as a good choice].

Great idea, I will give it a try.