Taking it apart

ptwblack

Hi there could anyone help me. I intend to clean this clock there is no makers name only { patent No 421434 other patents pending } marked on it. It’s got 8 gongs and plays 3 tunes and that’s where I come unstuck its ok taking things apart it’s butting them back together again. I won’t to know how to make sure that the drum goes back in the Wright way. I have but same photos on so you can see the drum and the style of clock Phillip

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010058.JPG

P1010059.JPG

P1010060.JPG

P1010061.JPG

What you have is 8 day chime with under slung hammers. I expect it plays Westminster. Whittington and St Michaels. You say drum, if you are referring to the drum with pins on that lift the hammers don’t worry that is easy to sort out. What you need to do is take many photos, pay particular notice of the chime side with the wheels with pins in them, the same goes for the strike side. I can help you in every way in repairing this movement from taking it apart to putting it together. You must let the three springs down first. Do you know how to go about this? You will need a clock mainspring winder to do this properly. Do you have one?  

Hi thanks for the reply I have only done this ones before and let the springs down with the key and the help of my wife. I don't have a mainspring winder , What would be the right way to let the springs down . And you refer to the wheels with pins in them the drum as I call it is one piece with a pinion or small cogwheel on the end that moves back and fore for the  melodies. And I want to make sure it will play from the start not halfway when I but it back in the clock 

Don't just use the key to let down the spring, great way to break your fingers.

I have an old drill chuck mounted onto a wooden rod about 40mm in diameter and 20cm long.

You attach the drill chuck to the winding post (Yes the drill chuck only has 3 jaws and the winding post 4 sides, but it holds well enough).

You hold the wooden rod with one hand and with the movement held securely by someone else or in a vice with soft jaws release the click and let the wooden rod turn slowly in your hand.

You can buy let down tools similar to what I made with the drill chuck that actually have all teh different size winding keys that fit in them.

Hi there I have taken out the drum and placed a photo on here. Have a look and see if you know the make. of the clock. Now to let down the springs but it wont be until its a lot warmer and I can go down to my workshop and make a spring winder about the middle of April my old bones don't like the cold  

P1010062.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure the movement is level.

With the pallet plate back on using the two screws. I hope you have put it back at the same depth as you took it apart. Give the going side a few turns so its got power. Place the pendulum back on and with you finger give it a swing and if it sounds in beat it should have an even tick tock. If not, it looks like the crutch is friction tight to the pallets, you move the crutch a little until you hear an even tick tock, depending on the sound will depend on which way you need to move the crutch. Make sure you have a little oil on the pallet faces and pivot holes.