Crystal press advise needed

I got one of these JDM linked to in a post on page 6.

It cost 20 quid off ebay it came with 8 plastic dies, made in India  it's a solid bit of kit with no flex what so ever, made from cast iron with a threaded steel shaft, it as an unthreaded pin on the base and a threaded M6 pin on the shaft the die screws onto, the base and shaft pins were in line spot on straight, i thought they maybe off straight like some of the Chinese press's.

I first tested it with the plastic dies that came with it, the threads are plastic so screwed on ok and looked straight and level, the gap was even between the upper and lower dies all ok until i had a go at screwing on a plastic die that has a threaded M6 brass insert the ones that came with cheap blue lever press, i tried a couple of different ones and M6 nut just wouldn't screw on, i don't know if the thread was damaged or not cut right, a couple of turns with an M6 thread cutting die fixed the problem, the dies and nut now screw on ok.

For 20 quid this is a good press with only one little fault on the one i received, i don't think you can get a better press for this price they probably could sell it for twice the price.

When i had ago at fitting a crystal it pressed the crystal in with ease no effort at all compared to the Chinese lever type press that i've used a couple of times it took effort to get the crystal in with the blue lever one. In future i'll use the lever press for removing old crystals and the screw press for fitting the new ones.

I think i might order a set of 25 aluminum dies of ali then i've got both plastic and aluminium die set.

The press is sold on ebay as a watch case back closer press not sure why it's not sold as a crystal press but will do both.

press.jpg

Edited by valleyguy
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

I've attentively read this thread because I want to buy a press as well, primarily for acrylic crystals -- but also thinking ahead about other types, including sapphire. 

My budget is about 70 USD. Happy to spend less and can stretch to 100 if that would mean a much superior tool.

If I summarize the thread correctly, here are most recommended screw-down (my personal preference) models:

1.  The heavy (2.4kg) one also described below.

Link: https://www.watch-tools.de/sale/x-thymes-strong-universal-closing-press-for-watches-23126.php

image.png.6950e2740f0283c4d2b2bd6001efee51.png

2. This lighter one where the force exerted between the two pillars.

Link: https://www.watch-tools.de/tools/case-closer/watch-case-press-s1-x-gentle-with-rotary-wheel.php

image.png.992492580f1a8a09d9cf083a2f4c6606.png

QUESTION:

- would you recommend one over the other?

- did I forget a candidate=

- is it a major disadvantage that both of them only have screw-in dies on the upper side and push-in dies on the lower side?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

...and a few bilateral questions below:

@chrisdt, so you are happy with this one and would recommend? Did you also try sapphire crystals with this one?

On 11/28/2019 at 4:09 PM, chrisdt said:

Depends what type you intend to get. I use the screw down type like the pic. Seems to give you more control but the princible is the same. The smaller die presses down on the inside of the crystal and contracts the outer rim. The watch front is then pressed down onto the crystal. Hold down while undoing the the large wheel. Hopefully the crystal will then be in place. Takes a bit of practise. A small circle of linen will prevent the top die marking the crystal.

P1010018.JPG

@jdm: the link below doesn't work anymore. Did you refer to this one: https://www.watch-tools.de/sale/x-thymes-strong-universal-closing-press-for-watches-23126.php

On 11/6/2016 at 1:11 PM, jdm said:

I don't think it's really needed to spend more that 50 on a glass/case press. I've upgrade from a cheap one to this
http://www.watch-tool.de/html/second_hand.php?id=0111gm
It's strong, heavy and works very well.

There is also another from the same seller which is cheaper and should work good because the pillars are lined up with the pressing point.

The below point by @jdm eliminates the following two models:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/screw-closing-press-with-even-pressure-spreading-disc

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/screw-closing-press-with-even-pressure-spreading-disc-two-stage-precision-closing

On 3/10/2018 at 6:55 PM, jdm said:

i do not recommend this type because the force is not between pillars and it will lose plane under medium pressure. If you want a screw type make sure that isn't so.

@LittleWatchShop: I'd love to have that file as well!

On 12/28/2022 at 2:53 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

Yes and no.  I really do not archive stl files.  What I have done is parameterized the CAD file, so I just enter the parameters and print what I need and discard the stl file.  If you use (or willing to use) FreeCAD, I can send you my source file and you can print to your heart's content.  Would have to email it, or put it on Thingiverse.

I can certainly see the utility of this feature.  I always worry using my lever BB Crystal press.

image.png

I see that my post isn't provoking much of a reaction 😞

I'm interpreting it as: neither of them are really good.

Now I'm sequeezing my budget to 150 USD. For that, I'm now torn between a vintage Robur press and the Chinese 5500 clone (e.g. at CousinsUK). Roughly the same price. While I lean towards the Robur, it isn't so versatile (e.g. I'd need to get an adapter and other dies to close stubborn casebacks).

Any thoughts?

Below the pictures of my options:

image.png.737afb12101f8e6fdd843ca4a2bc165f.png

image.png.6f7c4c8f0c49833f73af566f2240dc26.png

2 minutes ago, Knebo said:

I see that my post isn't provoking much of a reaction 😞

Now I'm sequeezing my budget to 150 USD. For that, I'm now torn between a vintage Robur press and the Chinese 5500 clone (e.g. at CousinsUK). Roughly the same price. While I lean towards the Robur, it isn't so versatile (e.g. I'd need to get an adapter and other dies to close stubborn casebacks).

Any thoughts?

Below the pictures of my options:

image.png.737afb12101f8e6fdd843ca4a2bc165f.png

image.png.6f7c4c8f0c49833f73af566f2240dc26.png

I own the Robur and is is very good but be aware the dies are made of hard plastic and off not careful they chip. I don’t remember where I purchased them but but also I have  some Aluminium dies that fit as well I have also a cheap Chinese Crystal fitting pres s that has plastic dies which is rubbish 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:53 AM, dbcher said:

Is it possible to post those stl files (or even the step files)?  Thanks!

Can you let me have the freecad files also for the dies?

Also for the others out there I have designed 2 adapters. The first lets you use the threaded type dies on a Robur (you will need a standard M6 14mm bolt) and the second let's you use Robur dies on the threaded type presses, link to thingiverse Here

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Can you let me have the freecad files also for the dies?

Also for the others out there I have designed 2 adapters. The first lets you use the threaded type dies on a Robur (you will need a standard M6 14mm bolt) and the second let's you use Robur dies on the threaded type presses, link to thingiverse Here

Your 3D model is brillant! Thank you!

What material do you print it in? And is it really stable enough for the "perfect" 90° angle?

23 minutes ago, Knebo said:

What material do you print it in?

Printed in PLA and I copied the dimensions of the Robur parts etc. Mine printed very well, let me know how you get on, or if there are any improvements needed. I did needed to sand the ID of the adapter to let the bolt pass through, but only took 2 or 3 mins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, valleyguy said:

@Knebo, the chinese clone of the bergeon 5601 prees maybe suitable, sold on ali as the e25 press.

Theres a write up about them on the forum somewhere with a stripped down one showing all the parts laid out for cleaning.

post-150-0-00527100-1448357209.jpg

Thanks, you are right, this is also an interesting candidate! I had tried to find it before under the Bergeon number, but didn't. Thanks to your indication of "E25", I now found it.

But would this be better than a Robur or the lever type 5500 clone?

7 hours ago, Knebo said:

Now I'm sequeezing my budget to 150 USD.

You don't need to. Both are are good, it's just that one is made the old way with heavy iron, and the other is contemporary in CNC light aluminium. At some point its just a matter of preference. For most jobs you will be able to do fine with the supplied dies, sometime you will have to modify or make your own. That is true for any press you can buy,

24 minutes ago, jdm said:

You don't need to. Both are are good, it's just that one is made the old way with heavy iron, and the other is contemporary in CNC light aluminium. At some point its just a matter of preference. For most jobs you will be able to do fine with the supplied dies, sometime you will have to modify or make your own. That is true for any press you can buy,

Long time no see!

It might be useful to point out to those not familiar with these tools that in the post above showing the Robur and the 5500 clone, it's a bit of apples vs oranges when it comes to the included dies. The Robur has smooth radius-rounded concave and convex dies that are meant to sandwich and flex the crystal from both sides while you slide the open case or free bezel up and over the crystal. This is a precise but low-pressure operation. The other types of dies that are flat or have beveled sides are meant to forcibly bear down on the plain crystal, armored crystal, bezel, case or whatever else you are trying to press fit together, which is when you will still want good control and good alignment but you may need it to function with much more pressure. 

The same press can be made to work for both functions, but it might take adapters as mentioned above or other modifications to get both types of dies to fit if you want to do it all with one tool. You should be careful to understand what you are buying. But then again, as a tool addict, I would ask "Why not just search for a good buy on both?" ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Long time no see!

Hi LWS, I had recently updated about my activities in the not-watches section.

I surely want to go back to more watch repair, occasinally posting what is my direct experience and reasoning, in the hope of helping others avoiding some mistakes I did,

• Like 3

I was talking about this topic today in another thread and said I would post pics of a kit I have. I hope this is the right place. I should mention I cannot give any advice because I am new and have never replaced a crystal this before, not successfully anyway. I am a seasoned collecter but a baby at repair.

The kit I have (but haven't yet used) is vintage and I hear it does an OK job. It was put out by the Standard Unbreakable Cyrstal Company, aka SUC. It came with round crystals in most sizes, measured in LC units and mm, for pocket and wrist watches. 

I was concerned that the crystals had yellowed, but it is not as bad as I'd first thought. I did a photo comparing brand to brand, and opened vs. never opened, but the differences are minor. Time will tell how I do with it - I am starting the courses here tomorrow.

20230708_140606.jpg

suc 3.jpg

suc 5.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 1:59 AM, Galilea said:

I was talking about this topic today in another thread and said I would post pics of a kit I have. I hope this is the right place. I should mention I cannot give any advice because I am new and have never replaced a crystal this before, not successfully anyway. I am a seasoned collecter but a baby at repair.

The kit I have (but haven't yet used) is vintage and I hear it does an OK job. It was put out by the Standard Unbreakable Cyrstal Company, aka SUC. It came with round crystals in most sizes, measured in LC units and mm, for pocket and wrist watches. 

I was concerned that the crystals had yellowed, but it is not as bad as I'd first thought. I did a photo comparing brand to brand, and opened vs. never opened, but the differences are minor. Time will tell how I do with it - I am starting the courses here tomorrow.

20230708_140606.jpg

suc 3.jpg

suc 5.jpg

Hi Gal, tbh i quite like the yellow of the crystals, i also have hundreds of them. It gives an old vintage watch that look of authenticity.

28 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Hi Gal, tbh i quite like the yellow of the crystals, i also have hundreds of them. It gives an old vintage watch that look of authenticity.

This is one of those subjective topics, I personally don't like the yellow crystals but I can see your point of view. 

• Like 1

Good evening! 

After a lot of thinking back and forth, I decided to get a vintage Robur (complete set for 160usd).

I just love high-quality vintage tools and their charm. I was willing to pay extra for that. 

As @Geotex mentioned above, I was aware that it doesn't cover all desired purposes as is. 

On 7/8/2023 at 2:56 AM, Geotex said:

It might be useful to point out to those not familiar with these tools that in the post above showing the Robur and the 5500 clone, it's a bit of apples vs oranges when it comes to the included dies. The Robur has smooth radius-rounded concave and convex dies that are meant to sandwich and flex the crystal from both sides while you slide the open case or free bezel up and over the crystal. This is a precise but low-pressure operation. The other types of dies that are flat or have beveled sides are meant to forcibly bear down on the plain crystal, armored crystal, bezel, case or whatever else you are trying to press fit together, which is when you will still want good control and good alignment but you may need it to function with much more pressure. 

The same press can be made to work for both functions, but it might take adapters as mentioned above or other modifications to get both types of dies to fit if you want to do it all with one tool. You should be careful to understand what you are buying. But then again, as a tool addict, I would ask "Why not just search for a good buy on both?" 😉

Thus, I ordered a set of aluminum flat+concave dies from CousinsUK. 

And a friend with a 3D printer is going to print the model for the necessary adapter, so kindly provided by @Waggy in the thread below. 

On 7/7/2023 at 4:21 PM, Waggy said:

Printed in PLA and I copied the dimensions of the Robur parts etc. Mine printed very well, let me know how you get on, or if there are any improvements needed. I did needed to sand the ID of the adapter to let the bolt pass through, but only took 2 or 3 mins.

Thank you all for your posts and feedback ! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 11:31 PM, Knebo said:

Good evening! 

After a lot of thinking back and forth, I decided to get a vintage Robur (complete set for 160usd).

I just love high-quality vintage tools and their charm. I was willing to pay extra for that. 

As @Geotex mentioned above, I was aware that it doesn't cover all desired purposes as is. 

Thus, I ordered a set of aluminum flat+concave dies from CousinsUK. 

And a friend with a 3D printer is going to print the model for the necessary adapter, so kindly provided by @Waggy in the thread below. 

Thank you all for your posts and feedback ! 

And here is my new baby. 

Robur press with it's die set. Together with an aluminium threaded die set from CousinsUK and my hero's @Waggy@Waggy 3D printed adapter (Robur to m6 thread).

I hope to be set for life 😉😁20230718_184540.thumb.jpg.a7b6f04d8ddad3657b7e2357cc5bad8c.jpgVideoCapture_20230720-084940.thumb.jpg.da7c933a4ff1740f1800cb568610560d.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I just purchased the E25 from Aliexpress. I can confirm it is a very well made and precise press. It only comes with a couple of flat faced aluminium dies, however. Can anyone recommend a good set of dies they have purchased from Aliex? I have some mineral glass crystalled watches but could see myself also going for something with acrylic crystals. Thanks in advance. 
A964D14F-D09A-4504-9594-DD4CA3D00E1E.thumb.jpeg.596d71356670d13f53f6924ec4814f43.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yxoc said:

I just purchased the E25 from Aliexpress. I can confirm it is a very well made and precise press. It only comes with a couple of flat faced aluminium dies, however. Can anyone recommend a good set of dies they have purchased from Aliex? I have some mineral glass crystalled watches but could see myself also going for something with acrylic crystals. Thanks in advance. 
A964D14F-D09A-4504-9594-DD4CA3D00E1E.thumb.jpeg.596d71356670d13f53f6924ec4814f43.jpeg

Can't help you with the dies from AliX. I got mine from CousinsUK. 

But I appreciate that you post impressions of your purchase!

4 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

It looks like the dies are somewhat unique in that they are both threaded and have a Robur-like protrusion, is that correct? If so I think you will have a hard time finding any dies that fit.

E25-Screwed-Watch-Back-Cover-Press-Universal-Watch-Repairing-Case-Close-Tools-Desk-Set-Watch-Pressing_jpg__webp_75.thumb.jpg.a09f0151919f24aefd0728df1f9315ba.jpg

It’s hard to see from the photos but the top (spindle) terminates in a threaded bolt. One of the included dies sits in the base and has a threaded bolt sticking out of the top, albeit an aluminium thread…66ECCFDB-ECC4-4A50-BB85-8263A84A816E.thumb.jpeg.da5e983d61ccbad066b5f8896edd1fe8.jpeg

If they are M6 threads then there are a lot of options. Personally I have and like these M6 dies from Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802449978843.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801918917614.html

They come with a storage box which some of the dies on Aliexpress don't. I also have this cheap set of plastic dies. They are not great but I've managed to use them a few times.

Edited by GuyMontag

13 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

If they are M6 threads then there are a lot of options. Personally I have and like these M6 dies from Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802449978843.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801918917614.html

They come with a storage box which some of the dies on Aliexpress don't. I also have this cheap set of plastic dies. They are not great but I've managed to use them a few times.

Thanks for the suggestions, those prices from Ali are typically very competitive. I am uncertain regarding the choice between the dies with the sloping raised rim, and the vertical walled rim, is there a distinct advantage to one or the other?